20

Chapter 20 || Unexpected Returns

Sweet Pea and I were sitting outside, cuddled up in front of a fire. It was a particularly cold night, and I was shivering despite being under Sweet Pea's arm and my jacket.

"I'll go grab a blanket from my camper." Sweet Pea said, kissing my forehead and leaving me alone by the fire. It was silent for a minute, but the sound of approaching footsteps caught my attention.

"Hey, Kitty." Josephine McCoy sounded, standing between me and the fire providing me warmth.

"Uh, hey." I greeted. "What brings you out here?"

"Oh, I'm looking for Sweet Pea." She said softly.

"Right." I nodded. "I'll take you to him."

"Thanks." She muttered, following me as I navigated through the Serpent camp. I stood a few feet away from Sweet Pea's camper, pointing at it so Josie could go talk to him.

"He's in there." I nodded, watching as she walked into his camper.

"Hey, Sweet Pea." She greeted.

"Hey, Josie." Sweet Pea greeted. "What are you doing here?"

"I thought you'd be a little happier to see me." Josie laughed, sounding confused.

"Why?" Sweet Pea asked. "I told you we were done months ago."

"Yeah, but tha-" Josie sighed. "Look, I came to ask if you would be my date to my mom's wedding."

"No, thank you." Sweet Pea denied. "Look, I got a girl outside who's probably freezing at this point and needs this blanket. So, excuse me."

I cracked a smile as Sweet Pea walked out of his camper with a fuzzy blanket in his hands. He caught sight of me and wrapped me up in the blanket, kissing my temple.

"Way to let her down easy, Sweets." I commented, watching Josie step out of Sweet Pea's camper. "Hey, Josie, you need help finding your way out of here?"

"No." She snapped. "I'm fine."

"Okay." I nodded. "Have a good night."

"Whatever." She huffed, storming off.

"Can we go back to the fire?" I asked, wrapped my arms around Sweet Pea's torso beneath his jacket. "I'm really cold."

"Yeah, let's go." He nodded, wrapping his jacket around me as we shuffled back to the couches by the fire. We got comfortable again, and I was soaking in the warmth from the fire, Sweet Pea, and the fuzzy blanket. "I hate to be that guy, but what does this mean for us?"

"What are you asking, Sweets?" I asked, letting my eyes slide shut.

"I'm asking what we are." Sweet Pea stated. "Can I call you my girl again?"

"I don't think that's the proper way to ask a lady out." Fangs sounded, dropping onto the couch by my feet.

"Yeah, Sweet Pea." I teased. "That's not the proper way to ask me out."

"Fine," Sweet Pea sighed dramatically, a smile tugging at his lips. "Katarina Jones will you do me the honor of becoming my girlfriend?"

"That was so much." I giggled, leaning up and kissing his jaw. "But, yes. I suppose I can allow you to call me your girlfriend."

"I love you." He hummed, kissing the top of my head.

"I love you too." I smiled, cuddling back into his side.

--------

Sweet Pea, Fangs, and I were hanging out in the hallway, waiting for our first period to start. I was wrapped up in Sweet Pea's arms, laughing at the jokes Fangs was throwing out.