Chapter Four

"You never find yourself until you face the truth." -Pearl Bailey

"Your job?"

He nodded. "The others and I protect the city."

"Who are the others?"

"Oh, right! We never introduced ourselves!"

"One of you did. I think he said his name was Jay?"

Cole nodded. We were walking up the steps to the deck of the ship. "Jay is our resident clown. He's the master of lightning."

"Master of lightning?"

Cole nodded. "Each of us have power over a certain element. I am the master of the earth. Zane is the master of ice, Kai is master of fire, Nya master of water, and Lloyd is the master of energy."

I nodded. "So you have earth powers?"

Cole nodded. "My elemental power allows me to harness super strength. I can also create boulders and mountains with just a slam to the ground."

I looked at him and pulled away a little. "Really?"

He nodded proudly. "Yep, it comes in handy a lot."

I nodded and he looked at me. I looked around the deck.

The deck of the bounty was very spacious. There were two side staircases that lead up to some form of control room. Probably where they steer and fly the ship. There were a few scratch marks on the posts and lots of burnt spots on the floorboards.

Cole walked to the edge of the ship and retrieved a plank that was laying under one of the staircases. Cole laid it over the water separating the ship and the dock. We walked across the plank and Cole looked at me.

"You are going to love Master Chen's," Cole said with a smile. "They have the best noodles in town!"

I just followed him silently. I was very nervous about going somewhere public. I was nervous about almost everything. This world was so strange, and so unlike what Mother and Father told me about.

My grip tightened on the strap of my backpack. Cole looked at me.

"Why did you bring your backpack," he asked. "Are you planning on running away?"

I couldn't tell him the truth. "I just wanted to make sure my belongings don't get stolen. These are the last things I have from my island. The last things Father and Mother gave me."

Cole nodded. "I understand. Sorry for being paranoid."

I shook my head. "It's okay. I ran away once before. You have no real reason to trust me."

"I have a gut instinct that I can trust you."

My heart sank. He shouldn't be trusting me. I was going to break his trust. I was going to let him down. I always do.

"Don't think too much, it doesn't help at all. Instead of getting stressed, try and relax. That's why I'm taking you to lunch," Cole advised.

"Is that the only reason you're taking me to lunch," I asked.

"Well, it is an added bonus for me. Especially since I haven't had breakfast."

I looked at Cole. He was very muscular, and seemed to have a normal size. Did people who overeat, grow to a massive size?

"If you don't mind me asking," Cole began. "Why are you so thin? Is it because you lived on an island?"

I looked at my feet as we walked. "There was limited resources on our island. Sometimes, we got supplies from a master in Ninjago, but we were steadily growing in numbers. Then the supplies stopped. I'm not sure what happened, but we were all alone."

Cole nodded. "That makes sense."

I looked up and him. "To be honest, I'm curious about why you are so thin? You say you can eat a huge quantity, but you don't seem to gain anything."

"Being a ninja can help with my exercise, it keeps me in good shape, but it's terrible for my appetite. I always get hungry, I can't help it." Cole laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. His cheeks were steadily growing pink.

I looked around us at the city. We were a good ways from the ship. There were huge buildings surrounding us.

"How far is Master Chen's? Is he nice?"

Cole looked at me. "Master Chen used to be an evil snake worshiper that started the war against the serpentine and the elemental masters. He came back a few years ago and tried to steal every elemental power for himself. He took all of our elemental powers. Even Lloyd's. Luckily Kai tricked him and we got to have Zane back. Chen was sent to the cursed realm by the Anacondrai generals, and he was never seen again."

I nodded and frowned. "Then why are we going there?"

"Because the food is delicious. Master Chen's daughter took over the business. She's a great friend of mine. She's always there when we need her."

I nodded and looked up. We were standing in front of a big building. There were lights on the front. The lights were bright pink, green, and yellow. They were in the shape of a bowl of noodles. The large character holding the bowl wore a large straw like hat, had a large moustache and had a big smile on his face. He looked friendly, even though I had just heard about his evil behaviour.

"Ready," Cole asked.

I bit my lip and nodded. Cole opened the door for me, and I walked into the warm building. It was a real change from the autumn air from outside.

"Let's sit at the counter," Cole said. "Then you can meet Skylor."

We sat at the counter. On the other side, a girl dressed in an orange suit had her back to us. She had red hair and she was busy polishing a glass.

"Hello, Master of Amber," Cole said with a smirk. "How is your amazing food today?"

The girl turned around and smiled at him. She had a kind face and a mischievous grin. "It's always delicious. Every time you come in, it gets better."

Cole smiled and laughed. "Can I have my usual?"

Skylor laughed. "Of course. What will your girl friend have?"

"I'm not his girlfriend," I snapped.

The two looked at me. Skylor laughed nervously.

"Girl friend," she said. She added a long pause between the two words. "Cole is already in a deep relationship with food."

"Who needs actual relationships, when you can have food."

I blushed and looked at my lap. I can't believe I freaked out over something that small. I was so embarrassed.

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

"It's okay," Cole said.

I looked up to see a big smile on his face. He handed me a menu and I took it.

"Order whatever you'd like," he said. "Don't worry about the prices."

I looked at the menu and felt overwhelmed. There were so many things on there. How was I supposed to choose one thing?

Cole got up and I looked at him. He smiled and me.

"I have to go to the bathroom. I'll only be a few minutes. Pick something before I get back."

I nodded and he walked away. I looked around. Skylor was nowhere to be seen. I could leave and not be stopped. My palms began to sweat. I looked around again, and didn't see anyone I recognized.

I jumped out of my seat and ran out of the restaurant. I was so glad to be out of there!