Chapter Twenty

"Things do not change. We change." -Henry David Thoreau

I tried to take a deep breath. I looked at Zane, who looked just as worried in the near darkness. I heard the pirates trying to break in. Someone ran into our door and I jumped, running into Zane.

"Sorry," I whispered.

"It's okay," he whispered back. "Are you okay?"

I peeped through a small crack in the old wooden door and saw a bunch of pirates climbing through the vent. It was located on top of the wall, on the other side of the kitchen. Standing dead centre of the room was Abigail, giving orders and looking very annoyed.

"How can they escape such a small room like this," she exclaimed. She began rubbing her temples in annoyance.

"We're doing everything in our power to find them your wickedness," a henchman said.

"Then you aren't doing enough," she screamed. "Search this place from top to bottom, destroy every vent if you have to. I WANT THEM ALIVE!"

A bunch of pirates started scurrying through the castle just to get out the door. I took a deep breath and stepped away from the door. I picked something off the floor and held it in my palm. I focused on the object and tried to make it float. It wouldn't move.

"What's wrong," Zane whispered.

"I don't have my powers. Abigail mentioned Tiger Widow venom. I didn't think she'd actually use it on me." I started to cry. I'd never been without my powers before.

"There is no need for panic," Zane whispered. "I trust Cole in this plan. Jay will get help and we'll be out soon. But for now, we just need to be patient."

I took a deep breath. Zane looked at me. There were no sounds outside our closet. I looked through the crack, but couldn't find anything or anyone.

"My data banks say that hugging people helps to calm them down," Zane said softly.

I looked at Zane and slowly nodded. Zane slowly wrapped his arms around my torso. His arms and body were cold, his metal made me shiver. I buried my face in his suit. I felt my heart begin to calm down.

"We'll get out of this," he muttered as he rubbed my back. "Ninja never quit."

"I'm not a ninja," I whispered.

I looked up at Zane. He was looking at the door. "Well, I'm not going to let you give up, even if you aren't a ninja."

He looked at me and smiled. I smiled too. This is why I had feelings for him. He was so positive, even in a situation like this. Why was he so calm? It bugged me. Doesn't he know that this may be the time we get found by Abigail and killed?

"Thalia," he said slowly. "Can I tell you something?"

I nodded. He looked at me and took a deep breath. He pulled me closer and took a deep breath.

"You can tell me anything, Zane," I whispered. "We're friends. It's what friends do."

"That's what I wanted to talk about. Well, I've always seen us as friends and I have always appreciated that. You're so sweet to people you care about. When you smile, it lights up a room like nothing I've ever seen. But what I appreciate the most is that you always have the ability to make a difference. Which is why I want to make a difference. Master Wu told us once that iron sharpens iron. Ever since I met you, my heart inside me keeps beating, faster and faster. What I'm trying to say is... I think I like you. You're my iron."

I froze. I took a step back, trying to take deep breaths. Zane frowned.

"Sorry, I just...No one has ever told me that they like me."

Zane nodded. "I'm glad I'm the first. I'll give you time to process, don't worry."

I smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Zane."

The door opened before I could say anything else. Cole was standing there, looking proud.

"They're gone! I knew my plan would work!"

We slowly walked out of the pantry and I saw Kai wriggling out of a cubby under the worktop.

"You just had to shove me in a spot I didn't fit," Kai said sarcastically.

"It was the only way," Cole replied. "We had to hide so they thought we escaped through the vent. Now all we do is climb out through the window to meet Jay on the other side."

I nodded. Cole ran to the window and opened it. I was too short to reach it, so Kai and Cole scrambled through the window, then Zane gave me a boost. This time, I was there to reach down and pull him up.

We saw Ninjago City in the distance. I looked at the ninja.

"That's a long walk," I said.

Kai smiled. "We have that covered. My bike has enough room for Cole, and Cole rode your bike down here, Zane."

Zane smiled and we followed Cole and Kai to the bikes. As soon as we got there, Cole and Kai hopped on Kai's bike and headed off. Zane got on his bike and handed me a helmet. I looked at him and smiled.

I walked over and kissed his cheek. "Thank you. When the pirates kidnapped me, they told me that you were taken apart. I'm glad you're still in one piece."

Zane smiled. I think if he had flesh, he would have blushed. "I'm glad that you're okay. I thought they were going to hurt you."

"They would have, if you weren't there."

"You were the one who sent the distress signal to everyone. Without you, we'd still be there."

The words hit me like a bullet. Zane didn't mean for them to be hurtful. I took them the wrong way, but I began thinking about what would have happened if I wasn't with the ninja. I thought about what would have happened if I had no powers at all.

I looked at the ground, kicking a pebble. "I'm sorry. I'm the reason this is happening. If I had no powers at all, everything would have been fine. You wouldn't have had to save me at all."

Zane got off his bike and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back.

His voice was gentle and calm in my ear. "I'm glad that you are you. Without your powers, you could have been hurt. Your powers make you unique, special. Don't ever think that things would have been better without your powers."

I nodded against his shoulder. I smiled and he pulled away. We got on his bike, and he turned to me before I put on the helmet.

"Oh, maybe we should keep our thing to ourselves. The others might tease us."

I nodded. We put on our helmets and I held onto his waist as we headed for the Monastery.