Chapter Twenty Nine

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

"The only way you're getting out of here, is in a body bag," Abigail said as she drew a sword from behind a stack of foldable chairs.

A bitter laugh escaped my throat as I raised my borrowed weapon from Zane. "Really? All those attempts have failed before. What makes you think you can finish me now?"

Abigail glared at me. We were circling each other. I could see the hole that I came through behind her. Cole and Zane were climbing out, with Genie behind them.

"You're just a scared little girl, with no friends or family."

"Then what do you call us," Cole asked. Abigail turned to see Genie out of her lamp with Cole and Zane behind them.

I sighed. "Guys, you're supposed to be on your way out."

"You think we'd let you fight alone," Genie asked. "I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't help."

"Cut the good friend crap," Abigail said. "It's getting really boring. We get it, you two love each other."

"Well, that puts your relationship to shame then, Zane," Cole joked.

Zane glared at Cole. Genie looked at Cole confused. "How did you know?"

"You could have killed me last night, why didn't you?"

Abigail looked at me. "I wanted to fight you and watch you beg for your friend back. You don't realise how powerful I am. With magic, I can bend the rules. I don't have to stop. I can take anything I want." She snapped her fingers, and Genie's eyes grew wide. She put a hand to her throat, as if she were trying to take something away from her throat.

"I... I can't... breathe..." she gasped.

"What are you doing to her," Cole asked.

"Simple, I'm stealing her powers. I'm surprised you didn't figure that out on your own.

Don't worry about me, Genie said in my head. I'm doing fine. I just can't do much. Make her pay!

I lunged with the shuriken. Abigail sidestepped and laughed. A few rocks flew past me. I glanced over at the boys, and saw Cole throwing rocks at Abigail.

"You're so pathetic," she laughed. "You've got boys doing your fighting for you. You'll have to be better to defeat me."

"No one fights for me," I yelled. I threw the shuriken at her. It cut her shoulder, ripping her shirt and causing a little bit of blood to trickle from her wound.

I looked over at Genie. She was leaning against the wall. Her hand was still gripping her throat.

You doing ok, I asked.

I'm doing fine. I'm trying to break free from this, but I'm having no luck. Keep your focus on her.

She tried to step away as I got up, but the room grew colder. Zane had iced her to the floor. I smiled and blocked her as she brought her sword down to take off my head.

"Can you use your powers if your head is separated from your body," I asked.

Abigail glared at me. She said some words that I didn't understand, and the ice began to melt. I growled and made the shuriken come to my hand. I charged at her. She brought her sword up to defend herself. My weapon caught some of the blade, but I felt the edge of her blade press into my forearm.

A sharp pain pressed into my arm. I gritted my teeth to stop my scream.

"Here's me thinking you'd be a better fighter, I guess we were both wrong."

Suddenly, there was a tornado of white and bright blue. Abigail and I were separated. Zane was across the room with Abigail against a wall. Her sword was at my feet.

"Let Genie go," Zane demanded.

Her eyes narrowed and a small smile grew on her face. "You love playing the hero, don't you," Abigail asked. "Where was this hero act when my parents were killed?"

Zane squared his shoulders. "I can't save everyone. Every ninja has to accept that."

"But we can at least trap those who deserve it," Cole said. He started to approach Abigail with the handcuffs behind his back.

I picked up the sword. "Maybe the world would be better without her."

Zane looked at me. "Thalia, drop the sword. I know you're angry, but killing is never the right option."

I glared at him. "She killed my whole family! She killed everything I know!"

"They kicked me out," Abigail yelled at me. "They thought I was useless and talentless. We mistook magic for telekinetic powers! I should have been allowed to stay! My parents would have never died if I had been allowed to stay! We would have never been captured by pirates! But no, your people had to be greedy!"

Cole and Zane shared a look. Cole turned to me and took the sword. He then turned to Abigail. He took a few steps towards Abigail, who sunk to the ground. Cole held her there, with the sword threatening close to her face.

I heard a large gasp behind me. I saw now that as soon as Abigail was pinned to the floor, Genie could breathe. At least she was ok, I could now focus on getting rid of Abigail once and for all. I took a step forward, as Zane began walking over.

"You, stay put," Cole growled. "Jay, I hope you have something I'm looking for."

The speakers all made a static noise. "Excuse me, you wound me with how little you trust me." It was Jay.

"How did he," Abigail asked.

"I hacked into your systems and recorded your entire conversation. I've also taken the liberty of sending this footage to the commissioner, he's on his way now."

"But, HOW," she screamed.

"Because your systems are easy to hack. For a high tech cave, you really are a noob at this. Next time, try having a different password. Oh, and don't bother trying to get your pirate friends to bail you out. They're...busy, for lack of a better word."

"Thanks, Spark Plug," Cole said with a grin.

Abigail screamed and tried to push Cole away, but Zane iced her hands to the wall. Cole grinned at Zane, then put the handcuffs on Abigail. I threw the shuriken at Abigail's head, but Zane threw a snowball at it, making it land on the floor a few feet from Cole and Abigail.

"Thanks for the assist, brother."

Zane walked over to me and looked at me. He took both my hands in his. "No matter how much people take, we can't just kill them. We need to give them a chance to become better. We need to put them in jail."

I glared at Abigail. Zane wrapped an arm around me and covered my eyes.

"What are you doing?"

"You can't kill her if you can't see her."

"I hate that you're so smart."

"You think you hate me, but it's the opposite." I could hear the smirk in his voice. It made me sigh and roll my eyes.