Chapter Twenty Three

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ― Martin Luther King Jr.,

It took around half a week for my powers to come back. During that time, Master Wu taught me hand to hand combat. I thought training with Zane was tough, that was nothing compared to training with Master Wu.

"You need to be quick," Master Wu said as I stood in the training ground. "Your opponent could attack from anywhere."

Master Wu was stood at the top of the stairs. His hands were clasped behind his back. The exercise Master Wu has comprised was that all six ninjas were hiding in the courtyard and I had to beat each one of them to complete my task.

"Use your surroundings. They could help you out. You might need the extra high ground. Make sure you disable your opponent by hitting the key places."

I looked around. I could feel someone watching me. I looked at the staff on the ground at my feet. I was supposed to use it to defend myself and fight back. The others had one each.

"Remember, you have to hit their torso or arms," Master Wu said.

I nodded. I tried to lift the staff with my powers. It moved a little, but still lay on the ground. There was a blur in the corner of my eye. I bent down to get the staff as the dark figure swung. They were knocked off balance. I swept my leg, making Kai trip over and fall.

"Dang," Kai said as I tapped his back with the staff.

"You're out, Kai," Master Wu said. "Please come sit on the steps."

I had no time to relax after Kai took a seat. Something in the shadows was slowly circling the grounds. But I had no chance of keeping an eye on them, because a spark of green popped up in front of my face. It caught me off guard, but only because I was focused more on what I couldn't see.

With ease, I ducked and rolled before Lloyd could touch me with the staff. I jumped up and felt a cold breeze on the back of my neck. I risked a quick glance behind me, as Lloyd regained his footing.

The other person was still moving in the near darkness. However, they were keeping their distance. It was like they were letting Lloyd attack. I turned my attention to Lloyd, letting him take a few strikes. I dodged all of his attacks.

After blocking a few strikes with my staff, I hit him once in the chest. Lloyd stumbled and fell back. He sat up and looked at me.

"Lloyd, you're out," Master Wu said.

Lloyd stood up, brushing himself off. He looked annoyed, yet walked toward the porch, muttering to himself and taking deep breaths.

Next I saw two blurry figures pass me. Circling closer and closer to me. The colours looked like blue and maroon. A spark of electricity flew past my face, I was lucky to dodge it or I would have been out.

I ducked behind a rock and thought about my options. Master Wu had told me to find a high place. Be aware of my surroundings. That's what I should do. I jumped on top of the rock, then looked around the courtyard. I saw a flash of silver far off, but I had to look away when I heard a twig snap on the ground in front of my rock. A staff tried to tap my foot, but I flipped off the rock and landed behind my attackers.

I managed to quickly sweep my staff at their feet and knock them off their feet, making them lose their balance. I heard Jay yell as he fell. I tapped his chest with the staff.

"Aw man!"

"Jay, you're out."

Jay got up and the other attacker didn't give me any time to watch. She swung at my legs, but I jumped. I blocked her staff as it swung down to hit me. I pushed her back and she blocked it as I swung down to hit her chest.

"You can't get me that easy," Nya taunted.

I swung at her waist, but she jumped back. I swung at her feet, but she just laughed and jumped to avoid that one too.

"You give a better fight than the boys," I said. "I'm impressed."

I faked a punch at her left, then swung with the staff at the right. Nya dodged right into a strike on her shoulder, as she was gearing up for another attack.

"You're out, Nya," Master Wu called from the porch. "Excellent job."

"Thanks for the great workout," Nya said as she walked off.

"No problem," I said.

The ground started to rumble. It was soft but it had a kick to it.

"Looks like Rocky Dangerbuff is coming out to play," I heard Kai say.

I looked to the shadows, expecting to see Cole still circling. But I looked all around to see no sign of anyone.

"How do you catch what you can't see," I heard his voice say. I turned around as I thought I heard him behind me. I was wrong.

I felt a charging force behind me. I jumped, kicking his face towards the floor. Cole was strong and fast. This was going to be tough. Cole stumbled, but he didn't fall, like I had hoped. He was quick to regain his balance.

My next attack was a swipe at his feet with my staff. He jumped, easily avoiding it. He wiped with his staff as soon as his feet were on the ground again. I jumped and saw an opening. He never protects his waist. As soon as my feet were on the ground, I swung at his waist.

However, he had swung backwards with his staff, knocking me off my balance. As my balance was failing, I hit his waist with my staff.

"You're out, Cole," Master Wu said.

Cole rolled to one side and watched his attack as it affected me. I fell onto someone. They felt cold and metallic. The only ninja left, the most difficult. Zane.

This was the first time I had interacted with Zane since he confessed that he had feelings for me. I wasn't about to let him win.

I jumped up, staggering back as he swung the staff. His eyes looked calculating, but not cold as I had suspected. I swung up to block a strike. I know there were supposed to be technical terms. A perry? I'm not sure.

Zane began to aim for my legs, but I jumped out of the way. I was glad he attacked last. This was much easier now. No one could gang up on me.

He walked closer to me, making me back up. He swung at my arm, but I was quick to block.

"This is much harder than I originally thought it would be," Zane said. "I'm impressed with your growth."

I shrugged as I went to attack. Zane blocked it.

"You know, I learned from the best."

"Is Master Wu a better teacher than me," Zane asked as I tried to strike again.

I had went for a headshot. "Kind of. He's better at teaching fighting, but you're still the best at teaching me about my powers."

"Does this change your mind about becoming a ninja?" Zane had swung at my legs again, but I jumped to avoid it.

"Ninjaing is your thing. Not mine."

Zane aimed for my waist. I blocked, then took a stab at his chest. Zane blocked, coming closer as he swung. We were only a few inches away now. I could smell his breath. I could see the small twinkle in his blue eyes.

"It could be our thing," he said quietly.

I pushed him away, as I stepped back. I didn't realise there was a rock behind me. I tripped backwards and Zane tapped my chest with the staff as my head hit the ground.

"Looks like you still have some things to work on," Master Wu said from the porch. "Well done, Zane."

"Thank you, Master," Zane said as he helped me up. "Are you alright, Thalia? You hit your head pretty hard."

I looked around for my staff. It was lying next to the rock. I tried to use my powers. It moved a little, then slowly, painfully slowly lifted off the ground. It landed in my palm and I smiled.

"Never better," I said as I looked up at Zane.

He may have been the ninja of ice, but his smile left a warm feeling in my gut.