Chapter Seventeen

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything." ― Gordon A. Eadie

"Alright, now just do like Master Wu taught you."

I nodded and sat on the ground. I closed my eyes.

"Clear your mind and focus on the sounds around you."

I focused on the sounds of footsteps on the courtyard ground. Every footstep he made, I heard clearly. I knew exactly where he was. He was circling around me slowly, not getting any closer, keeping an even distance.

"Remember how Master Wu instructed you to put up the shield?"

I nodded and imagined myself in a bubble.

"Alright, I'm going to test the shield. Don't lose focus."

I heard a soft thud against my bubble. I jumped a little. I didn't expect it to be right behind me. I thought he was to the right. How did that happen?

I yelped as I felt a ball of snow hit my face. I opened my eyes and glared at Zane. "Ow," I said clearly annoyed.

"I told you not to lose focus," he chided me.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Your first snowball came from behind me. I was trying to figure out where you were."

"I'm a ninja, you have to protect yourself from all sides. You never know where people will come from."

With another sigh, I flopped on the ground and laid my arms on the ground to either side of me. I know it looked childish, but we had been drilling since lunch. I was getting tired and the sun was setting.

"Could we take a break," I asked.

Zane walked over to me and stood over me. I looked up at him. He smiled and nodded, then held out a hand to help me up. I took his hand and he pulled me up.

I began seeing black spots in my vision as I walked inside, but I didn't say anything. Zane and I walked into the kitchen and saw Cole and Genie making cinnamon rolls. I sat at the table as Genie stumbled and shook her head a little.

I looked at Genie. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Genie said as she sat next to me. "I can see black dots in my vision, it's weird. I might have been out of my lamp for too long."

"You see the black spots too?" Everyone looked at me and I blushed. "I just started seeing them, relax."

"How can we relax when it's affecting Genie too," Cole asked.

"Perhaps I trained you too much," Zane said thoughtfully. "It could have been the sun, the amount of training I've been giving you. Have I pushed you too hard?"

Cole looked at Zane. "They're seeing black dots, Zane! I thought you would have been more careful, especially since-"

"Hey," Nya said as she walked into the room. "Who wants to have a sleepover?"

I frowned. It had been a few weeks since we saw the magic girl in the city. Genie had been trying to distract me from it, but training my powers and becoming a better fighter was all I could think about.

"A sleepover," Genie asked as she tucked a lock of hair behind her ears. "What's a sleepover? Is it dangerous?"

"No," I replied. "A sleepover is when people, who usually live in different houses, go to one house and one room. They talk about life, parents, things they dream about, and boys."

Zane and Cole looked at each other. I could have sworn I saw fear in Zane's face.

"Are the boys invited," Cole asked Nya. "I think my brownies and I would make a great addition to your sleepover."

Nya looked at Cole. "No, but I thought this was the perfect time. Lloyd, Kai, and Jay are all on missions."

I noticed Genie relaxed a little. I got up and walked over to her.

"We don't have to join the sleepover," I said softly. "It's all up to you."

Genie looked at Nya nervously. She was weighing her options, looking for danger in every scenario. Slowly, Genie nodded. A small smile crept onto her face.

"A sleepover sounds fun," Genie said with a grin. "We can have cookies and talk all night!"

Cole looked at us. I could see an idea cooking in his brain. He had this slightly mischievous look in his eyes. "Oh no, we have no cookies, or snacks for the sleepover!"

Nya looked at him with confusion. "But what about your-"

"We have nothing," Cole cut her off dramatically. "Someone needs to go get snacks for the sleepover! I nominate Zane and Thalia."

Genie grinned and looked at Cole. "That sounds like a great idea!" After seeing my weirded out look, she bit her lip. "I mean, why Zane and Thalia?"

We all looked at Cole, who blushed and became flustered. "Uh, I don't know! It just seemed like a good idea! They work really well together!"

"Well, we don't have to go," Zane said as he looked at Cole. "Maybe Thalia wants to do something else. Also, we have no way of knowing if that girl knows where we are. It's best for Thalia to stay here."

My heart fluttered a little, knowing that Zane wants to keep me safe. Then I began wondering why my heart was fluttering. I decided I didn't have time to think about it now.

"Come on, Zane! The girls need a break from training, and they need sweets for their sleepover. No sleepover is complete without sweets."

"Okay," I muttered. "I guess I'm agreeing to this sleepover."

Cole smiled. "Great, now go out and get those sweets!"

Genie looked at Cole and frowned slightly. "Why do you need them so badly," Genie asked.

"Because it's Cole," Zane replied with a shrug. "He needs his cake to keep him going for the hour."

"Please get me my cake," Cole asked dramatically. He was practically on his knees. He looked at me pleadingly. "I haven't had cake in days! I fear I won't last!"

"It's been three hours, Cole," Nya said realistically.

I sighed. "Fine, I'll go get sweets for the sleepover and a few cakes for Cole."

"Great," Cole said as he bounced to his feet like nothing happened. "Zane can go with you to protect you."

Zane looked at Cole. It was one of those looks that I'll never understand. I looked at Zane, who looked at me. He shrugged and sighed.

"Are you ready to go?"

I nodded.