Chapter Eleven

"We accept the love we think we deserve." ― Stephen Chbosky,

The lamp began to glow and I dropped the lamp. Zane pulled me back ward and held me back. A shape was coming out of the lamp. It was vaguely humanoid. Jay looked at us as the shape formed a girl.

"I told you! No one ever listens to me!"

"Jay, now is not the time to panic," Zane said calmly.

"This is the perfect time to panic," Jay screamed.

The girl floated next to my bed. From the waist down, she had a shimmering purple blob for legs. From the waist up, she was a normal girl. Her skin was a few shades lighter than mine, and her hair was pulled into a high, blonde ponytail. Her eyes were a bright crystal blue.

She looked at us in panic. "Where am I? Why am I out of my lamp?!"

"Oh man," Jay screamed. "It's happening all over again!"

"What's happening all over again," Zane asked.

"Genie," I asked as I recognized the girl.

Everyone in the room looked at me. It was an interesting mix of emotions. I kept calm and only looked at Genie.

"Zoe," Genie asked a little fearfully.

"No," I said with a shake of my head. "I'm Thalia. I hope we can become friends?"

"An evil djinn comes out of the lamp, and you want to make friends with it?!" Jay's screaming was getting annoying.

I glared at him. "Genie is not an 'it.' She's a person too. Sure, she looks different and has powers, but how does that make her different from you?"

Jay and Zane were both taken aback for a minute. I looked back to Genie, who was backing away slowly.

"Would you like some food," I asked.

"I think I should go back into my lamp," Genie said. She looked at the lamp behind her and I felt this weird pulling sensation in my chest. She didn't want to stay out here, but she felt cramped in the lamp.

I tried to take a step forward, but Zane held me back. I looked at him.

"You were built to protect those who cannot protect themselves, right," I asked. Zane nodded. "She needs our protection and help right now."

As I was talking to Zane, I heard footsteps behind us. It was Kai and Lloyd, he must have grown bored of shouting at Cole to see what we were doing.

"What's all the screaming about," Kai asked. "Lloyd got distracted from shouting at Cole just to see why Jay was yelling."

Genie looked at Kai and Lloyd. She got scared and rushed back into her lamp.

I sighed. "Guys! You scared her!"

"Scared who," Cole asked as he walked in. He had picked up an apple along the way. "What's going on?"

"Thalia rubbed the lamp," Jay exclaimed.

"It was my father's lamp," I yelled back. "I had a right to see if there was a djinn inside! It's better than destroying it! There's an innocent djinn in the lamp!"

"Djinn's are not innocent!" Jay's voice rose in pitch with every scream.

"Jeez, I feel bad for all the dogs that now can't hear because of your voice," Cole said as he bit into his apple.

"This argument is pointless," Lloyd said. "We need to come up with a plan. We have enough on our plate, without a djinn here to get in the way."
"She isn't in the way," I shouted as I rushed over to the lamp. I picked it up and held it close to my chest.