Chapter Six

"Body and soul cannot be separated for the purposes of treatment, for they are one and indivisible. Sick minds must be healed as well as sick bodies." -Dr Jeff Miller

I got inside and shut the door. Something felt wrong. Slowly, I entered the hallway and opened the hall closet to get my baseball bat. I raised it as I walked into the living room. The big window was still closed. The thin curtains still drawn. I scanned the area of my apartment, everything seemed in its place. Father's lamp was still on the bookshelf, next to the window.

Someone was watching me. I couldn't see them, but I could feel them staring at me. I turned to stare at my stalker in the face.

The girl was there. The girl with Mother's cloak. The hem was caked with mud. Holes were scattered here and there. I frowned. How dare she rip my mother's cloak? Her head was facing downward. The hood was up, but I could see black hair flowing down her shoulders.

"You thought you could get away. It took a little bit of time, but I go here in the end." She picked her head up and glared at me.

"Who are you," I asked, getting ready to swing. "Why do you care so much about me?"

"I don't care about you. I care about getting rid of you! Telekinetics never cared about keeping my family safe. They only cared about protecting their own! My family died, because of them!"

I backed away a few steps. "Telekinetics just wanted to live. We just wanted to be protected. We always protected our people who came to the island!"

"Our people," the girl spat. "We can't let our people down! Heaven forbid, a telekinetic suffer!" She had a mocking tone to her voice.

I lifted my bat, ready to swing. Before I could, there was a knock at the door. I got distracted and looked at the door. The bat flew out of my hand. It came flying at me. I screamed and ducked. It hit the bookshelf, causing Father's lamp to fall to the floor. I picked up the lamp and heard someone yell, "Ninja, go!"

There was a whirling tornado of red light. It burst down the door and twirled toward the girl. I took my chance to stand and run.

However, this insane girl had other plans. Working simultaneously, the girl pushed back the red tornado and me. She pushed me so far back, I was pushed into the window. I screamed as the glass shattered. I tried to grab at the curtains, but I was too slow. I was falling through the air.

I closed my eyes. I tried to clear my mind. My power seemed like the only hope I had of surviving.

Suddenly, I wasn't falling anymore. In fact, I felt myself rising. I opened my eyes and looked around. The white ninja, Zane, was there. He was holding me with one arm. We were enclosed in a translucent bubble, floating upward, despite the fact there was no wind.

Zane gently landed us on the fire escape. I stumbled and Zane looked at me worriedly.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt at all?"

"I'm fine. Stay away from the window. If you can help your friend, without her seeing you, you'll have a better chance."

Zane nodded and stepped away from the window, closer to me. "Who is this girl? What does she want?"

"Beats me," I said with a shrug. "As soon as I came to Ninjago, she was on my tail. I can't shake her. She wants to wipe out my entire race."

There was a look on Zane's face. It almost looked sad. Like he might understand being the last. Maybe I was just imagining things.

"Why are you here," I asked.

"Our master wanted Kai and I to check on something. He gave us this address and told us to make sure the person that lived here was okay."

I shook my head. "This is insane. I should have stayed on the island."

Zane didn't say anything. He was looking straight ahead, as if he didn't see me. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Zane, are you okay?"

He looked at me. "Yes. I was looking into the building."

I looked behind me, then back at Zane. "You were looking through a brick wall?"

"I have x ray vision."

"Of course you do."

"There is no need to worry. I made sure to not look at you."

I nodded and Zane looked at the wall again. "The girl is making small movements under her cloak. It's like she's moving her hands. As if her power comes from her hands."

"It's not her cloak." My voice came out a lot colder than I meant it to. "That's my mother's cloak. It's meant to be my cloak. She stole it from me when she tried to drown me."

Zane looked at me. There was that look again. Like sadness. "Oh," he said. "I'm sorry. I did not know it was so special to you. I know what it's like to lose a loved one."

I looked at Zane. "Aren't robots not supposed to feel emotion?"

Before Zane could answer, a fire ball flew out of the window. I jumped and Zane looked at the wall again.

"Wait, I believe she has magic."

I looked at him. "Are you sure? Telekinetics also move their hands."

"Do they mutter under their breath?" He paused for a moment. "She's muttering spells."

"You can see her mouth moving?"

"No, I have super hearing, as Jay calls it."

I nodded. "Of course you do. Silly me. Of course a ninja robot is equipped with a plethora of spy equipment."

"I am not a robot," Zane said. "But that isn't what matters now. Can you try to direct her magic away from Kai and I?"

"Wait, we're going in there? What if we get killed?"

Zane looked at me. "What if she kills someone else? My brothers and I are Ninjago's heroes. We need to stop threats like this. I was built to protect people who can not protect themselves."

I was shocked into silence. Zane went to the window and I felt obliged to follow. I stayed on the window sill and watched as they fought.

There was going to be no saving my apartment. I was really hoping that the landlord would believe me and not charge for the damage. Kai was launching fireballs at the girl. She flicked them aside easily. Her face was still covered by my mother's cloak, which was getting singed by Kai's flames.

A small part of my heart throbbed at the sight of Mother's cloak damaged. She took such good care of that cloak when she was alive.

The girl flicked one of Kai's fire balls at Zane. I used my telekinesis to stop it. It stopped an inch away from Zane's chest. I tried to move it, but I couldn't she wasn't letting me.

"Ninja, go!" Kai yelled. He began spinning, breaking the girl's concentration.

When her concentration was broken, all the resistance on the fireball was suddenly gone. I was launched forward with the ball. It hit the middle of the cloak as I stumbled forward. I could taste blood. I couldn't tell if it was hot, or if it was just me.

"Thalia," Zane said. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and staggered to stand up straight. "I'm fine. Just...put out the fire."

Zane nodded and I leaned against the wall. The girl flicked her hands at Zane, but I held back her magic. Her caramel skin made me think of something I hadn't thought of in a long time. Magic. Hated telekinetics. It made sense.

"Abigail?"

She grunted in frustration and pushed some kind of magic at me. I held back the first wave, then she sent another, flinging me into a corner of the apartment and holding me against a wall by my throat.

I kicked at the invisible force and tried to claw it away. Nothing worked to get rid of it. I was beginning to see black spots. This was truly it. This is how I die.

"H-help," I choked out.

I felt the room grow colder as I blacked out.