Chapter Twenty One

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."-Mae West

As we pulled up to the Monastery, I saw Genie, Nya, Lloyd, Master Wu, and Jay in the courtyard.

"Thanks for getting help, Jay," Cole said sarcastically as he pulled up his hood and jumped off Kai's bike.

"Are you okay," Genie asked as I climbed off Zane's bike. "I was trying to reach you and talk to you, but it's like your powers have been turned off!"

I hugged Genie tightly. She hugged me back.

"What happened," she asked.

"The pirates used Tiger Widow venom on her," Zane said. "It blocks her powers for a while."

"Genie, please take Thalia to wash up and get cleaned up," Master Wu said gently.

My best friend nodded and led me inside. We got to our room and Genie helped me select some clothes to wear. I took a shower, then we went to find everyone else. They were gathered in the common room, explaining to Master Wu what happened.

"And then, Cole shoved me in a cupboard under the counter," Kai said, sending a death glare at Cole. "Without warning."

"Hey, I was trying to keep you safe," Cole shot back. "Sorry for the inconvenience."

I sat next to Zane on the couch. Genie sat on the other side of me. Zane was paying attention to the conversation and hadn't noticed that Genie and I walked in. No one noticed.

"You all should go easier on Cole," Master Wu said. "A house that is divided, can not stand."

Jay sighed. "But we're not house! We're ninja!"

"Whatever, I try to tell them, they don't take notice. I've just grown to be used to it," Cole stood up. "It's nothing bad, it's just that I'm used to it."

"I appreciate Cole's quick thinking," Zane said. "It was a clever, tactical move."

Cole smiled. "Thank you, Zane." Cole then left the room, passing me and Genie. He looked down, but quickly looked back up again.

Zane looked at me and smiled. "Hello, Thalia," his voice held a light and airy tone. "Are you feeling a little better?"

I nodded. "Yeah, nothing is better than taking a shower right after you've escaped a crazy magic assassin, who has some personal grudge against you."

"On the bright side," Jay said with a grin, "we have her name now! We can stop calling her magic assassin!"

"Crazy magic assassin," Kai corrected Jay.

I rolled my eyes. "She was on the island when I was a kid. I remembered her name when I saw her face before, but I wasn't sure if I was right, so I didn't mention it."

"Always mention everything," Master Wu said. "Together, we have a better chance of solving this issue once and for all."

"I don't remember her that much. I don't even know why she has a grudge on me."

Genie frowned and looked at me. "Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Then we need to make sure no one can take you," Master Wu advised. "We must keep our guard up and be aware of any attack. I think you all need to train even harder than before."

"Train," Kai and Jay whined in unison.

"But we've trained all week," Jay said. "And we just escaped them! Can't we rest!"

Master Wu looked at Jay. "That does not matter. Ninja must be at the fullest of their potential, even if it means to train more."

"But what about lunch, Master," Cole asked.

Lloyd turned to Cole. "Of course you're thinking about your stomach," Lloyd butted in.

Cole sighed and glared at Lloyd. "May I remind you that we had to rescue Thalia! You didn't have to do anything!"

"Besides, everyone needs food, Lloyd," Zane said. "A human consumes food around every four hours."

"Yeah, but for Cole it has to be at least an hour gap before his next meal," Kai joked.

Master Wu looked at the ninja. "That is enough. Leave Cole alone. His food consumption is no business of yours. Besides, Genie and I haven't had a chance to prepare lunch, you'll all just have to wait."

"I can start making it," Genie said. "I don't mind."

He smiled at Genie. "You may start preparing, but lunch will not be served until two."

"But it's only eleven," Jay whined. "And we got no breakfast."

Lloyd sighed. "You're getting as bad as Cole, Jay."

Master Wu glared at his ninja. "Don't make me change it to three. Now, go!"

"Yes Master," they all said.

The ninja left for the courtyard and started to train. I followed, not quite sure where to go, or how to train. Usually, Zane planned something for me to do while he trained with the others. This time, I sat on the sidelines and watched as machines whirled and elemental powers flew everywhere.

Lloyd walked over when he noticed I wasn't training. "Thalia, you have to train with us," he said. "It's not fair to us, if you sit on the sidelines."

"I don't have my powers," I told him.

Lloyd rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "You can still train in hand to hand combat."

"That's my bad," Zane said. "I train with her one on one, so she's more used to the calmness of a one on one session."

"I don't care," Lloyd said. "She has to figure out how to train with all of us here."

With a sigh, I stood up. "Why should I train with you guys," I snapped. "It's not like I'm a ninja, and I'm certainly never following your orders, Lloyd because you're such a jerk!" I stormed inside and slammed the door.

Genie ran out of the kitchen. "Thalia, what's-"

"I have to be alone for a minute," I said as I ran to my room.

I slammed my door shut and sighed. I slid to the floor and wrapped my arms around my knees. I still couldn't use my powers. I was nothing without them. Maybe I was nothing with them too.

I sighed and thought about all the people that were sent away. There were people like Abigail sometimes. Every so often, a child didn't have powers, or someone new showed up and had telekinesis.

When we found out that Abigail had magic, instead of telekinesis, her parents were mad. I remember them shouting at my parents. They insisted that her powers were telekinetic. She tried to prove it by trying to levitate and throw me.

That's how I found my own power. I had raised my hands to defend myself. I ended up pushing her into a wall. Maybe that was why she was coming after me. Maybe all of this was because my parents said she had magic and not telekinesis.

I closed my eyes and leaned against the door. I heard a small knock at the door and saw a few pairs of feet stand outside my door.

"Why are you two listening at the door," one voice asked. It was Zane.

"Because we wanna make sure she's ok," another voice said. It was Jay.

So Jay and Kai must have been listening outside my door. I felt anger rise in my chest again. I stood up and punched the door hard. I heard them jump back in surprise. It even sounded like one of them fell over.

I flung open the door and saw Jay and Kai on the floor as well as Cole and Zane by the wall. "Can I help you," I asked, practically growling at them.

"We just wanted to make sure you were ok," Kai said.

"Just leave me alone," I said as I slammed the door shut again.