Chapter Eighteen

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you." ― Elbert Hubbard

"Are you sure we should be going," I asked as we walked into town. I stayed close to Zane, hoping the girl wouldn't be here. I kept looking over my shoulder, just to be sure.

Zane looked at me as we entered town. "I'm positive. Besides, you have a ninja by your side, nothing will go wrong as long as you stay with me."

"Are you sure?"

Something felt off. I looked around.

"Of course I'm sure! I'm a nindroid, your safety is a hundred percent greater when you're with me."

I looked at Zane. "Was that a robot pun?"

Zane looked at me. "I'm a nindroid. I don't make very many puns. Jay is still fine tuning my funny switch. The only thing it can do at this moment is make me dance and sing like a Royal Blacksmith."

I frowned. "Royal Blacksmith?"

"Yes, the Royal Blacksmiths are a group formally made up by four men, one of them being Cole's father. They are quite a thing in the city."

I nodded. "Ah, interesting."

"Alright, the bakery will be closing shortly, we'd better get his cakes before they shut."

I looked around as we walked to the bakery. The lights were dim, creating small beams of light onto the sidewalk. Zane looked like he was thinking deeply about something. I secretly wanted to know what he was thinking about, but I knew that if I asked him, he'd say it's nothing.

"Zane, I think there's something on your mind."

His eyes couldn't meet mine. His hands began fidgeting. "No, nothing is on my mind."

This was getting annoying. Zane had been like this ever since we started training a few weeks ago. He would get all distant, and never tell me why. I sighed and walked into the bakery. I walked over to the cakes and tried to think of what Cole would like.

Zane walked over and looked at the cakes with me. "If you're looking for a cake for Cole, anything without cream cheese will suffice."

I didn't answer and looked at the cakes. After a second, I picked up a chocolate cake and left the isle with it. I didn't wait for Zane to catch up. I looked around, no sign of Zane. It was a small relief but the girl could be anywhere.

I went to the candy isle. I looked around for candy the girls might like. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I didn't turn around, thinking it was Zane.

"What are you doing, all alone in the city," a male voice asked. His speech was strange. Kind of like a pirate.

I turned and found a pirate beside me. The girl was behind him.

"I wouldn't run, if I were you," she said as she twirled a lock of her black hair between her long fingers. "I'm tired from fighting, and I don't feel like chasing you down."

"Fighting," I asked. "Who were you fighting?"

"Some metal guy dressed in white. You might know him. He called out for you, before my friend tore him apart."

My heart sunk. This was all my fault. I shouldn't have ignored Zane. I could have helped him. Maybe he wouldn't have been hurt. My hands curled into fists as I began to grow angry. I was sick of this. I was sick of her ruining my life.

"Come with us, little girl," the pirate said. "We'll help you. A few of your kind survived. We have them on our ship. Wanna see?"

I looked at him. He backed away from my glare. I was about to punch him, but I felt a prick in my neck. I held my neck in confusion and looked behind me. Another pirate was there, holding a needle. It was filled with green liquid. I staggered back.

All three of them chuckled. One grabbed me from behind, around the neck. I struggled to break free, as the girl put a cloth over my face. I tried not to inhale. I knew there was some kind of knockout gas on the cloth. I accidentally breathed in, getting the stuff in my lungs.

"Just breathe deep," a pirate said with a cackle. "Rest up, then we'll take your djinn from you and kill you."

I tried to struggle, but my body went limp and I blacked out.

When I opened my eyes, I could see through Genie's eyes. She was in Nya's room, making a bed on the floor.

"Genie," I said in her head.

Genie jumped, making Nya look a little worried. "Thalia," Genie asked. She sounded confused and worried. I felt so bad for making her worried.

"Are you doing that weird communication thing with Thalia," Nya asked.

My head nodded. Genie sat on the ground and closed her eyes.

"What's wrong? How can I help?"

"Zane and I were ambushed in the city! We were kidnapped by pirates!" Genie gasped and opened her eyes. "We need Nya, Cole, and the others, but you can't come. They want you too. They know you're a djinn." My vision began to fade. "I'm losing my powers! Tell them to hurry!"

My vision of Nya's room faded. A lump formed in my throat. I couldn't feel Genie anymore. I wasn't even sure if Genie had gotten the last bit of the message. I began to breathe heavily, tears welled in my eyes. I felt completely alone.

I opened my eyes slowly. I could feel someone tied to my back. I stretched my wrists, trying to pull away. The ropes were really tight. I sobbed, but it was muffled by the gag in my mouth.

I could feel the other person jutter awake. They were twisting their head in all directions and wriggling at the rope. They couldn't move, I didn't see why they were struggling to get free.

"What happened? Wait, who are you?" He tried to turn and look at me.

That voice! The pirates lied to me! Zane was tied up behind me! I started crying in relief. My muffled sobs were shaking both of us. I couldn't stop crying.

Zane held my hand. "Thalia, is that you?"

I squeezed his hand tightly. I heard a sigh leave his mouth.

"That's good! I thought I lost you."

I squeezed his hand tightly, as a way to say 'I thought I lost you too,' and 'They said you were dead.'

"We need to get out of here. Can you use your powers to break the ropes? Squeeze once for yes, twice for no."

I squeezed his hand twice. He hummed, as if he was thinking of something.

"So this means we can't signal the others."

I sniffed. Zane was quiet for a moment. I could tell he was thinking long and hard about something.

"I have one idea, but it might hurt you. I don't want to do it unless you're a hundred percent sure."