Chapter Nineteen

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."― Oscar Wilde

I squeezed his hand once. He took a deep breath.

"I'm going to freeze the ropes. If I freeze them, then they'll be brittle enough to break. I'm just worried about accidentally freezing you."

I squeezed his hand tightly. It was my way of saying 'just do it!' Zane sighed. I felt the room grow colder. I closed my eyes as I felt intense cold on my wrists. It hurt a little. I whimpered slightly.

"Sorry," Zane said. "I'm so sorry."

The cold stopped growing. The pain was almost unbearable. I was glad I could bite down on the gag in my mouth.

I looked around the room to distract myself. The walls and floor were grey. The doors were wooden, and there was only one light source. It hung above us on a swinging string. It looked like this had been part of an underground bunker. A few filing cabinets were standing in the corner.

"There. That should be cold enough." Zane jerked his hands away from mine quickly, making the ropes snap and fall to the ground in frozen chunks.

I began rubbing my wrists immediately. I needed to rub some warm into my wrists. Zane turned to me and turned me around to face him. He ripped off the tape on my mouth, then took out my gag.

He sighed and looked at me. "I'm so sorry, Thalia. I never meant for you to get hurt. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you what was on my mind. I should have told you."

"Zane," my voice was hoarse. "Now isn't really the time."

"Right, yeah. Let's get out of here."

He helped me to my feet, then looked around. "Wait, there!" He pointed to a vent above us. "That vent will take our weight. If I boost you up, you'll be able to reach it, then we can climb outside."

"But what about you?"

"I can use airjitzu, don't worry about it."

I nodded and Zane bent down, cupping his hands together and holding them at my knee level. I stepped into his hands, and he lifted me up to the vent. I was trying to open the vent, when some pirates burst through the door. I almost fell due to shock.

Without warning, the grate popped open. Jay stuck his head out and smiled at me.

"Did someone order a rescue mission?"

My heart rose in my chest. Jay helped me climb into the vent. I narrowly dodged a bullet by climbing into the vent. I heard metal clashing. They had swords and guns, all Zane had was his ice powers.

I looked at Zane, feeling anxiety and guilt forming in my chest, making it feel like ten people were sitting on me. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off of me. I smiled. "Genie got my message?"

"Yep, and she's at the Monastery with Nya. We gotta leave, like now." Jay helped me climb into the vent and I looked at Zane.

He was surrounded. I bit my lip. I tried to access my powers, but I couldn't. Then all of a sudden, two flashes of light twirled into the room, spinning the pirates out of control and knocking them against the walls. When the small tornadoes stopped spinning, it turned out to be Kai and Cole.

"You just had to go to their kitchen didn't you," Kai asked sarcastically. He put his hands on his hips, making sure to give Cole a full attitude.

"You said you wanted a distraction," Cole replied. "Plus they had cake!"

I could see Zane's smile from here. "It's good to see the pair of you," Zane said. "But we should be going."

The two nodded. In the blink of an eye, I saw a blast of white and light blue. It was Zane using his Airjitzu. He flew his way up to me and into the vent. He pushed me backwards a little to make room for Kai and Cole to fit in too.