Chapter One

"Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone. We find it with another." -Thomas Merton

I believe that there are important moments in life. Those important moments help shape us and if they never happened, then we would be incomplete. Losing my people is one of those moments.

My name is Thalia and I'm the last telekinesis.

My island burned. We were in hiding, because so many people wanted to take our powers. Before the ninja, there was very little to protect Ninjago. Back then, we only had to worry about the Serpentine and Lord Garmadon.

Because we were always causing trouble, the citizens decided it would be best if we left. So we did. There was a small, abandoned island that fit us perfectly.

I kept hidden in the safe room. It had been countless hours since Mom and Dad left. They said they would be right back with more people. Everything was silent. Had been silent for hours. It was time to leave. I had to get out of here before they came back.

I found some money in a small metal box. My mother's cloak was on a hook. My backpack was at the foot of the stairs. I filled my bag with the food in the bunker, then put on Mother's cloak and left the bunker for the last time.

Laying in the burned sticks and ashes, was a golden lamp. It reminded my father of stories his father used to tell him about djinns, so my father kept it. I sighed and picked it up. I blew off the ashes and slid it into my bag.

I walked around the island, looking at what was left. It wasn't much. All the houses were burned, all the boats were badly damaged. My father put his life into those boats. It tore my heart to see them all destroyed.

After walking around for a few hours, I finally found an undamaged boat. It was behind a nearby house. As soon as I found it, I pushed it out to sea. Forget the oars, because they're probably gone.

I used my powers to push the boat across the sea. It took a few hours of launching myself forward too fast, then stopping too suddenly.

It went on like that for days. When I finally got to Ninjago, I crawled out of my boat and collapsed on the shore. I panted and laid on the ground for a few minutes. When I got my breath and strength back, I stood up and looked around.

"Alright, Thalia," I told myself. "You need food, shelter and a job."

I began to set out on my personal mission. The city of Ninjago was really pretty. There were lights everywhere. My parents described Ninjago so differently. They said it was just houses and people. They never said the buildings reached the sky and that there were so many metal boxes with people inside them.

I saw someone on the street and tapped their shoulder. The man turned to me. He was dressed in a dark suit and was holding a small box in his hands.

"Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but is this Ninjago City?"

The man nodded. "Yeah, why do you ask?"

"My parents told me that this place just had people and houses. What happened? What are all these lights and boxes for?"

The man laughed. "Those boxes are cars. Handy little things. They take people wherever they want to go. Back when the serpentine and skuliken were terrorising the villages, Ninjago City was much different. That's the Ninjago City your parents remember. But Ninjago took a heavy hit from The Overlord's takeover, so Cyrus Borg took the old ruined city and made it new and bright. But that new and bright city was no more. It was now dark and broken, thanks to the work of Emperor Garmadon."

"Who's Emperor Garmadon? Is he like Lord Garmadon?"

The man looked at me and shook his head. "You are so lucky that you missed that mess! He used to be Lord Garmadon, but I heard he had all the light sucked out of him, when he got resurrected. He even got rid of the ninja for a while. They came back though. They always do."

I frowned. "The ninja?"

"Wow, you really are new in town, huh?"

I nodded. The man's box started ringing, so he walked away, talking into his box as he went. I sighed and started walking around again.

As I looked around, I kept an eye out for help wanted signs. I noticed some of the buildings were destroyed. Someone caused this much damage?

It looked like most of the citizens of Ninjago seemed to be helping each other rebuild buildings and clearing the streets of rubble. Even the children were helping.

I passed a group of children helping sweep the street. They were playing a little as they worked. One of the children was dancing with the broom. They were all laughing and pushing each other around. The only problem was that there was a huge pile of rubble next to them.

What came next, I saw in slow motion. It was as if I slowed down time. One of the children pushed one of the others into the rubble pile, then it came down. I gasped and covered my mouth. The rubble engulfed them like a tidal wave.

"My baby," a woman screamed. "Someone, get help!"

People began to claw at the rubble. I looked around. Help wasn't coming. At least, not fast enough.

My mind threw me into the past. I could hear the screams. Many different parents calling out for their children. Children screaming for their mothers. My own mother. I could feel the heat from the fires, even though I was underground.

I acted before I could think. My hand came up, my legs widened to steady myself. Just like Father taught me. I thought about the mass of rubble rising. I imagined a hook underneath the mass and pulled it up.

The rubble began to lift, as one solid mass. The child stood up and ran to their mother and friends. I smiled and put the rubble to the side. I stumbled a little as I felt the weight subside, but I quickly righted myself. I then put up my hood and walked away.

I didn't want praises, or questions about how I did it. I didn't want attention. However, the people following me had other ideas.

Without having to think about it, I walked into a crowd. I took as many turns as I could, and ducked into the nearest alley. There was a dumpster about halfway down. I ran behind it and crouched down.

The footsteps stopped at the mouth of my alley. I held my breath, trying not to be too loud. My heart was racing. This is how telekinetic people die.