Glowing Paths and Lit Up Trees

After doing your homework for a while, you had in fact fallen asleep on the couch in front of the fireplace. The room was dark , and it was certainly very late at night. Thanks to your quiz that your teacher decided to pull, you had to make sure that you went over everything. You had fallen asleep around midnight, curled up in a red and black fuzzy blanket and a empty cup of what used to be a cup of tea beside you.
Your textbook, notes, and writing utensils are all scattered around you as you slept, the dull light of fire lit your sleeping figure. The gentle warmth in the crackling of the wood had lulled you to asleep, Angel was asleep on the couch beside you as well after he came in to watch you study and ask you what school was like now. You were so transfixed on studying that you had forgotten to eat dinner as well.
Alastor leaned on the wall by the door, watching you sleep. Honestly, in his head, he was debating if you should carry you up to your room or leave you here to sleep. Eventually, making up his mind, he quietly walked over to you and picked you up slowly. He rested your head on his shoulder is slowly laid you down on the bed upstairs in your room, putting the fuzzy blanket back over you again. Before shutting the door, you bid you good night and left, deciding to just leave Angel there.
The next morning, you will half-heartedly got up and began to get ready. Your eyes drooped every time you sat down, but you know this fatigue would wear off eventually. Going through your normal routine, you got downstairs and carefully tiptoed around Angel to pick up your stuff. On the door, there was a neatly written note in dark red ink;

Darling,
Whenever you're ready to leave for school go ahead, I am nearby so when you leave I'll know and just go straight to your shadow, don't fret, my fawn.
-Alastor

You smiled at the note, Grabbing a breakfast bar you made your way out of the mansion in silence. You began to mutter formulas and stuff for your test as you walked, And writing small reminders at the top of each page in the book that you had open in your arms. Though today so far has been quite quiet, it was pleasant. You took a bite out of the bar, looking at the time on your phone saying that you are in fact about 20 minutes early. You had to say, you are a little unnerved by the fact that you had no reassurance other than the note— but your trusted him.
You closed your Burke, deciding at concealer early you could study in class for a few minutes, you began to question why you trusted the Demon so much. Part of you reminded you that he was a Demon, and went to hell for a reason, but another part of you told you that if he was truly impelled to hurt you your mother would not have contacted him.
How powerful was he truely? How did your mum know him? Why him? Why did he do so much for you when it isn't in the contract?
Absentmindedly, you fiddled with the locket from your mom thinking. You haven't really had time like this to think alone. Looking down at the locket in your fingertips, you opened it and looked at the pictures inside. Iran a finger around the edge of the heart before closing it again.
You still missed her, you would lie away and think about her even. No you were still saddened by her death, you did your best not to think about it because you knew it would not do any good. Getting to the edge of the woods now, the Sun was beginning to light up the tips of the trees and the mountains. (Also, quick note, I don't know if I have said anything about where they're located. I thought a bit about it, I decided to throw them somewhere in a mountainous state. Oregon, Utah, Tennessee, Arkansas, you choose. It doesn't have to be in the US, can be anywhere with mountains.)
And so school begins....