Hood Roots (Besties) part 4

The kids in my hood were tuff. I just wasn't cut from the same cloth. I was like satin where they were more like blue jeans.
Even the ones that were satin-like me carried a blue jean exterior.
You just had to otherwise you became a target to be made fun If, beat up or tortured in a way that only kids could.
Today I had a field trip at school. We were going to the Forrest Preserve.
I had never been to a forest before so I was rather excited.
The first grade was tuff in the hood but I was learning so many new things.
My school was about 2 blocks from the house but it was a straight walk and we had two crossing guards that were familiar with my mother. During preschool and kindergarten, my mom walked me to school but the crossing guards were like the mothers en route to school.
Ms. Jean was my favorite of the two. She was slim with a mean overview.
I had a little bit of a crush on her.
She was funny, and parents knew their kids were safe when she was there and it was rare she wasn't on her post. In fact, she claimed that post until I was well into high school.
Good morning Ms. Jean. Good morning baby. How's your mother? She's ok. Well, you tell her I said hello. Ok, Ms. Jean. All the kids respect Ms. Jean because if you didn't your mom would know about it.
I sprinted by the high rise buildings with my backpack bouncing on my back. It was funny to watch all the kids just pour out of those three buildings every day.
They actually filmed quite a few movies in the hood. Mo Money starring Damon Wayne's, Next of Kin Starring Patrick Swayze, Red Heat, The Blues Brother and T.V show Hill Street Blues.
These buildings we're featured in Next of Kin and you can see them in the background in a clip of the movie Mo Money.
Most of the kids were trying to get to school for breakfast and so was i. My mom was a single mom so money was funny. Having these food programs at school took the pressure off the grocery bill. I ran inside the school and got in line.
I didn't really have any friends but my sister was always with me. We are together then she went her way once we got back outside. She was in the second grade and had already made friends.
I could wait for the bell to ring so I could go on this field trip. I wondered were their wild animals in the forest?
Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my.
(The bell rings).
I run to my class and sit at my seat. My teacher's name was Ms. Fisher and Ms. Cook Ms. Fisher was old and kinda looked like Barbara Bush. Ms. Cook was a black lady and nice but didn't take any mess.
Ms. Fisher explained to us that there was another class that would be sharing the bus with us. Someone didn't order enough busses.
Everyone in the class was so excited.
Any time we had a chance to leave the hood was a great day.
It was time to board the bus and I was one of the first ones on. I liked to sit in the middle of the bus by the window. The bus started filling up but not one person wanted to sit next to me. The bus doors closed and there I was alone while everyone else was paired up. I couldn't believe it.
As we waited for the busses to pull off one of the teachers from the other class knocked on the bus door. Whispers filled the bus. What is happening? The boy behind me asked. I don't know.
The doors opened and this kid with an afro and glasses gets on.
He looks for a place to sit and I knew he was going to sit next to me after all it was the only seat left on the bus.
Hey! Hey, I replied. Next thing you know we are talking like we knew each other for years. I finally found someone cut from the same cloth.
We hung out together the whole trip and even sat next to each other on the way back. Little did either one of us know it was the beginning of a friendship that would span 4 decades.
My new best friend name was Alfred Jones.
I had a friend. I couldn't believe it. I raced home after school to tell my mom about my new friend.
Guess what mom?
What nugget? I have a new friend.