Chapter 14: Almost There

Katie, Morgan and I head off through the woods. Sadly the trees are loosing leaves. So it isn't colorful anymore.
"So. Tell us a little bit about yourself." Morgan asks me.
"Okay, my favorite color is green. I like to read books when I can find them. I love to draw." I say.
"Cool. We are sisters, most people can't tell though. We look so different." Katie says.
I stay quiet looking around for walkers. I here crunching and I turn around. There is a walker heading right for me. I take my knife out and kill it. I wish this never happened. I miss the old world, where my friends would come over and we would sit in front of the TV watching movies and eating pizza. We did that every Saturday night. I wonder how all my classmates are doing and if they are even still alive. I wonder how my grandparents are doing. How my cousins are doing. How my whole family is doing. As these questions buzz around in my mind I think of how I'm going to get to the city.
"Do u have a map?" I ask them
Katie pulls out a map.
"Thanks." I say. I start looking around. They have a circle marked *you are here*. They city is 10 miles away. I can't see any tall buildings though because of all the pine trees. I pick up the pace a bit and the girls seem to get the idea. 10 miles of walking later I find myself at the edge of the woods. Only we aren't at the city. We are at the edge of a river.