Chapter 19: Trying to Save Someone

•Kira•
"I don't think she meant for that to happen Morgan..." Katie kept saying to her sister. She still wouldn't talk to me, and it has been days. I stop and turn around.
"I'm sorry Morgan, I didn't think that would happen back there. I thought it would be easier to fight them off. I also didn't think there were that many. Again I'm sorry. I hope you forgive me." I say apologetically. She stood there staring at me for a moment.
"I forgive you. I guess I did over react a little..." She said and looked down at the ground.
"No you didn't." I say.
Now that we are friends again, I start to walk again. I tell them that we are going to head off into the woods. Walkers might come out of the city. Because it used to be such a populated area. They agree that we should go into the woods. Once we enter Morgan starts humming. I know that song, and start humming with her. Soon Katie joins in. We all hum together while walking through the woods. I can see the road from where we are so I know we are on track. It's getting dark and we set up camp. Since I don't have any noise makers, one of us is going to have to have to stay up. To watch for any walkers. I offer. They go to sleep, and I start thinking about my family and Jordan. I miss them. I hope they are okay. I wonder where they are. Maybe they are already at the city waiting for me. Maybe they are on their way. I hear someone scream and I look over to see if it is Katie or Morgan. No, they are sitting up right now. Probably because the scream woke them. I tell them to get up and follow me. I pull out my gun. I follow the sound of moaning and crunching and screaming. I soon get to where a boy about are age is surrounding by walkers. There is no way I'm going to be able to save him. I take my knife out and tell Morgan and Katie to stay there. I walk over and start killing walkers. Once they are all dead I search for the boy. He is on the ground. He has a bite on his neck.
"Hi" he says "thank you for saving me."
"Hi... I didn't save you.... I couldn't." I say. He looks at me puzzled.
"Your neck..." I whisper and tears swell up in my eyes. "I'm so sorry."
"It's not your fault. Thank you for at least trying to save me." He says. A tear runs down my cheek. Yes I know that I don't even know this boy, but I have never been very good at saving people.
"Don't cry." He says.
"Okay..." I mumble out.
"By the way, my name is Anthony." He says. "It was nice meeting you."
"I'm Kira, and it was nice meeting you to." I say. "Goodbye Anthony."
I slowly get up and turn around. I get the girls and start walking away. We are almost back at the camp when a gunshot goes off. I jump a little. Then fall on my knees and start bawling.
"Hey." Katie says and comes over to sit next to me."Why are you crying?"
"Because another human had to die..." I say.
"I'll let you be alone if you want." She said.
"Okay thanks."I say. I sit there and cry until I feel better. I then sleep the rest of the night.