Prologue

"Nik, I can't just find him on my own. I need something to go on."

The pack finds themselves on a beach with a single person lounging beneath a cabana. Lexi Mikaelson stretches out her legs with the phone pressed up against her ear and a piña colada in her hand; sunglasses shield her eyes as the sun beats down on her.

"Find Stefan, and we find our family," Lexi says with a hint of distaste in her voice. "You know, this would never have happened if you had just let the man go free."

"I don't need your criticism, Lexi. I need to find our family." Klaus replies. "It has been a month. Where could he be? Certainly not in Mystic Falls."

"Did you look?" Lexi asks. "He may be hiding among Mikael's ashes." She chuckles to herself. "I will never tire of hearing those words—Mikael's ashes."

"Yes, yes, I know. The wicked man is dead. We know." Klaus sighs through the phone. "How come you refuse to help me? I would have thought that—"

"You daggered our siblings," Lexi says, her voice cutting through the air like a knife. "You made them vulnerable. Find them. Besides, Mikael is gone—we are free. I am enjoying a relaxing beverage on a peaceful beach whilst you figure out the mess you put us in. Ta, ta, Nik."

She hangs up with a grin.

Glancing up at the pack, she sighs. "You know what's coming, don't you?" She asks.

They nod.

"Any last words before I look at the text that sends me back to Beacon?"

Malia Tate raises her hand. "I haven't seen anything."

Lexi purses her lips. "That is because we did not meet yet. Don't worry, coyote. You'll see something soon."

The rest of the pack stays silent, unable to really think of appropriate questions.

She runs her eyes over each of them as the sadness creeps into her expression. Malia Tate and Kira Yukimura—both newcomers to their tale of sorrows. Lydia Martin, Stiles Stilinski, and Scott McCall—children who grew up too fast. Peter and Derek Hale—the last of the Hale legacy, the wolves she swore to protect with her life.

Lexi places a hand over her aching chest. "I am truly sorry for everything I have put you through."

They disappear from her view when she looks down at her phone.

From Alan Deaton:

I need your help.

Book 4! WHO'S EXCITED?!?!?

Hope you enjoyed!

-L