22 | Try a Different Face

A black wolf lays by an old, dying tree. Her eyes glow red in the moonlight as she shifts back into Lexi. She rolls her neck out, letting a tank top and shorts appear in her body; the moon glistens over her pale skin.

A snapped twig makes her turn. She blinks in surprise. "What are you doing here?" She asks as she takes a step away from him.

Derek shakes his head. "Your sister called me." He shoves his hands into his leather jacket as he shrugs. "It didn't take long to guess where you were."

"You didn't answer my question." Lexi blinks a few times and clears her throat. "Why are you here?"

"I don't know." He leans against the nearest tree. "Sounded like you needed some help?"

"I don't need help." She crosses her arms. Pressing a hand to her chest, Lexi takes a deep breath as she tries to slow her heartbeat. "I am the Original Alpha, Derek. There's no need for you to be here."

"Cora heard this rumor." He steps towards her. Leave crunch under his boots as he pauses in front of her, his neck straining as he looks down. "Another Original dead. We were worried about you."

Lexi purses her lips. "I am fine, as you can see. No need for you to be here. Bye, bye, now." When she spins on her heel, Derek grabs her arm before she can move too far. "Derek, you should leave," she says as she glances back at him. "People here are not too kind to wolves."

"I don't care," he replies, tugging her towards him. "Something is different about you, and it's not good."

Lexi scoffs. "Everyone thinks that. No one can accept that I am better this way."

His eyes run down her face. "I liked who you were before."

"Well, this is an upgrade." She sucks on her bottom lip as she meets his gaze. "Meet the new and improved me. This is the Lexi that wouldn't have gotten you mixed up with everything. This Lexi would have known better."

"I was born into this," he says, his fingers finding her's. "We both were. Nothing can change that."

She glances down at their hands. Her heart beats against her ribs as she takes a step closer to him—so close that she can feel his breath on her face. "What do you hope to accomplish here, Derek?" She asks, her voice soft. "You cannot fix me. No one can. I do not want to feel, therefore I will not. Not even you can change that."

"But I can try."

With a low growl, Lexi's eyes glow bright red as she sinks her canines into his neck. He cries out as she pulls away, raking her claws through his throat.

"Want to try another way?" She asks, glaring at his body.

"What the hell?" Stiles whispers, glancing at a very pale Derek. "Do you..."

He narrows his eyes. "That's not me."

"What?" Scott asks.

"That's not me," Derek repeats. "She never did that. Not to me." He looks down at his body; Lexi stands over him, her foot nudging his stomach.

"Clever girl."

Lexi smirks as she turns. "Want to try another face?" She asks. Silas stands before her—his face is still Derek's with his throat slashed from ear to ear. "It didn't work for you last time. Maybe you should try again."

Silas clicks his tongue with a grin. "You know, your head is a very interesting place, Lexi. You have all these memories of upholding deals, so what happened to our's?"

Lexi shakes her head. "I don't remember promising you the cure," she says with a false frown. "I told you I was finding the cure. I told you who had the cure. But I never said I'd help you get it, therefore, my deals stand."

"It was implied."

Lexi mocks him, sticking out her tongue. "Goodness, you are a boring villain," she says. "At least Nik has some flair."

"How's this for flair?" He clenches his jaw. "I change into you, get the white oak stake, and kill your remaining siblings?" Lexi's nostrils flare. "And while I'm at it, I'll go to Florida and kill some wolves."

Lexi's expression hardens. She glances around, her eyes uncertain.

"There it is," Silas says. "There's the humanity."

"I have no humanity."

"Then why do I scare you?"

Lexi shakes her head. "You do not scare me."

"No, but my threats do," Silas replies. "Not so much about your siblings. But the wolves. You don't want them to die."

"Habits stick," she says. "May take some time to fully tune out those instincts. After all, I am the Original Alpha."

"Then let's make a deal. A real one." Silas takes a step forward, blood glistening on his neck. "You help me get the cure, and I won't kill your pack."

He extends his hand; Lexi stares at it as if it would disappear. "I do not care about my pack," she lies.

He smirks. "Yes, you do."

She takes his hand.

"Follow me. Appear as Rebekah," Lexi says without emotion. "It will be easier. Elijah will be waiting to give her the cure. Come now, evil one." She flips her hair out of her face as she walks through the trees, not bothering to make sure Silas follows.

When she reaches the Mikaelson Manor, she glances back to see Rebekah in her golden dress beside her. Lexi links her arms with Silas and walks up to Elijah with a grin.

"You're home," Elijah says. "And how did our Cinderella fare?"

"I won't lie," Silas says. "There were complications. But I passed your test with flying colors."

Elijah glances at Lexi. "Don't look at me. I was with her all night," Lexi replies. "She passed." She looks up at the half-moon.

Elijah takes a step forward as Silas unlinks his arm with Lexi's. "If this is what you truly want, it's yours." Elijah hands her the white box.

Rebekah grins at the small pellet lying on the soft cushion. "I guess it's time that I turned into a pumpkin. Thank you, Elijah."

As Rebekah saunters into the mansion, Lexi backs away. "Now, if you'll excuse me," she holds her hands in the air. "I think I'll leave for a bit." Elijah frowns. "Find a few bars. Get the hell out of dodge."

Her heart hammers against her chest as she walks away, her steps unsteady as she does her best to keep walking. One foot in front of the other. Her vision blurs for a moment as she takes a calming breath. "Stop," she whispers to herself, her hands clenching into fists. "Stop it."

As she runs a hand down her face, Elijah races towards her and grabs her arm. "What have you done?" He demands, his expression furious.

"Whatever do you mean, brother?" He voice stays steady even as her breathing escalates. "You'll have to be more specific."

"Silas was with you, not Rebekah. You are smart enough to know the difference."

Lexi's eyes flicker bright blue. "It was Rebekah or my pack," she says. "Nothing personal." She blinks a few times as she clears her throat. "Now, if you'll excuse me—"

Elijah's grip tightens around her arm. He searches her expression. "Let it in," he says softly. "Alexis, just let it in."

"I don't want to." She rips her arm out of his hold. "And you cannot stop me, brother." She spreads her arms out wide. "I have already killed hundreds. I am the most powerful being on this Earth, but no one remembers. You think you can make me turn it back on? I refuse to go through that grief again." Lexi grins. "Try your hardest, but—"

"Oh, I will." Rebekah's voice is the last thing Lexi hears before her neck snaps to the side.

Rebekah's PISSED! 

Hope you enjoyed!

-L