3 | Saving the Betas

Kneeling beside a tree, Lexi runs her fingers over the grooves in the dirt—nothing remotely similar to a human footprint. With the phone pressed against her ear, she sighs as she looks ahead at the flashing red and blue lights. "Nik, I don't have all day," she says as she walks over to the pool. "Who do you keep in there?"

"You don't want to know. Now, do you have enough to track Stefan down?" Klaus asks impatiently. "Either way, you'll be happy to know that Elena has returned Rebekah."

"Lovely, can I speak to her?"

Klaus sighs. "No. Now, where is Stefan?"

"Who is in the box?" Lexi snarls. She pauses when she sees two familiar cars parked by the side. She crosses her arms as she glares at the first one, staring straight at Chris Argent getting out of the car with Scott. "Hold on," she says as she mutes the conversation, pulling the phone away and ignoring his curses. "What are you doing here, Argent?" She asks. "Want to kill more of us?"

"He's here to help," Scott says.

"Really?" Lexi scoffs. "Argents only kill."

"As opposed to you?" Argent replies. "You?"

"Why do you need a hunter's help when you have mine?" Lexi crosses her arms. "Lydia found this body. He's human—not a wolf. Why do you insist on involving hunters?"

"Because Boyd and Cora did this." Scott narrows his eyes; Lexi can only see an annoyed puppy. "They have to be stopped."

"Boyd and Cora could not have gotten here in time to kill him." Lexi looks back at the body being loaded onto the ambulance. "Not unless they run like vampires."

"Some innocent kid is dead—"

"Not because of werewolves." Lexi shakes her head. "You really don't understand. Boyd and Cora wouldn't be this pre-meditated. Getting someone alone and only ripping out his throat? You know the bloodlust—that wouldn't satiate it. You have to feel the kill. This was too quick, too merciful for an out-of-control werewolf."

Scott throws his hands in the air. "Who else could it be?"

"That's what worries me." Lexi bites down on her lip. "I have no idea." She glances back at Argent. "You going to be different than your father? Anything you want to hold over my head like the rest of your family?" He narrows his eyes. "No lies about Mikael?"

"Last I heard, you put him in a coma," Argent replies.

She chuckles. "He's dead." The hunter's eyes widen. "Yeah, for sure, this time. I watched my brother shove a white oak stake into the bastard's heart. Relished in it, actually." She flashes her blue eyes. "Find other leverage." She presses the phone back to her ear. "I'll talk to you later, Nik. I've got wolves to deal with. But first, I have one question. How many daggers are there?"

"Lexi—"

"Don't try to lie, brother."

Klaus pauses. "One for each of us. You know that."

"Is that the truth?" Lexi asks. "Or is there one for each of us and one that you've lost track of over the years?"

He does not respond; She hangs up.

"I'll text you the details of my plan," she says with a grin. "Meet me at the school. We've got work to do."

"Why there?" Argent yells after her. "What do you plan on doing?"

With a smirk, she turns back. "We're not going to find them. They're too smart for that. We're gonna lure them to a place that will hold them until the sun comes up. No one stays at the school this late, even me. It'll be empty, and I'll be able to control them. So, you four boys can corral them. I'll deal with them."