45 | Happy Fête

Clad in a long red dress, Lexi walks through the Quarter with a small box in her hand. With flushed cheeks, she pauses and checks behind her before she ducks into the alley where her brother stands guard. Genevieve walks away from Elijah just as Lexi steps through the gate.

"Brother," she greets with a small nod.

"Alexis." Elijah straightens his back and clasps his hands in front of him. "I did not expect you to show."

"To the Fête des Benedictions?" Lexi shakes her head. "A party for witches? I wouldn't dream of missing the opportunity to bless Davina. The disrespect to Genevieve and the others is a bonus."

Elijah steps forward, and her grip on the box tightens. "Where have you been?" He asks, watching her closely.

"I visited Beacon Hills," she replies, surprised by her honesty. When she realizes her truth, she glances down at her feet and sighs. "I needed to see they were all right, Elijah. They are. They do not need me any more than a vampire needs a nest. Niklaus was right, as always. I simply belong here." Meeting his gaze once more, she says, "After that, I have been with Hayley. She is not alone out there in the Bayou, I assure you. Speaking of which..."

Lexi glances over her shoulder as Hayley ducks into the alley with a present in her hands. "Lexi, Elijah." She smiles at them.

"Strange," Elijah chuckles. "I thought you'd be in the company of your colorful friends."

Lexi sends him a glare as Hayley purses her lips. "You asked for a representative for the werewolves, so take me or leave me."

"Get over yourself, Elijah," Lexi mutters as she turns on her heel and enters the large banqueting hall.

The moment she walks in, she is handed a glass of champagne. She instantly rejects it, preferring to watch as the Harvest Girls take to the stage. Davina stands in a red dress with wired flames reaching above her head; the girl sends Lexi a smile as Genevieve raises her glass and gathers everyone's attention.

"Welcome," the witch says. "As is our time-honored tradition, you are all welcome to deliver your offerings. It is our custom that no one should be turned away, no blessing be denied."

Hayley is up first, smiling as she pauses before Davina. The witch standing guard directs her to Monique. Then Francesca is directed to Abigail, the young blonde in a white dress. Diego is sent to Monique. No one is sent to Davina.

A low growl escapes Lexi's throat. Elijah grabs her arm but she shakes him off. "Don't," she snaps before she walks straight up to Davina. Before the witch can direct her elsewhere, she shines her blue eyes, freckled with red. "Touch me, and I will rip off your hand."

Davina straightens in her seat as Lexi holds out her hand. The young girl takes it only for Lexi to drag her claw across her palm. Davina winces as Lexi whispers her spell, dripping the blood onto the wrapping. "Only you can open this," Lexi says, loud enough for the others to hear. "It is for you and only you. I hope you find it useful, Davina. You deserve happiness as much as the other leeches sitting up here."

She sends Monique a cruel, wicked smile before she returns to Elijah's side. "What did you get her?" He asks.

"Something useful," she replies. He quirks a brow at her, but she simply shrugs. "None of your business. She is my student, not your's."

Elijah shakes his head. "You continue to surprise me, Alexis. Do I have to worry you will do something reckless?"

When she unflinchingly meets his gaze, she says, "I will do what is best, brother. I will protect my family with everything I have for as long as I can. Why do you think I've started drinking from humans again?"