34 | Never Leave Klaus

"I get air for two minutes and this happens."

Lexi storms into Hayley's bedroom with a bucket of ice water. She practically shoves Rebekah off the bed to place her hand against the wolf's forehead. "She is burning up," Lexi whisper to herself. She takes Rebekah's rag and soaks it in the ice water before she places it back on Hayley.

"I feel like I've been microwaved," Hayley groans.

"Hey," Rebekah snaps as she begins to pace. "Just because you're carrying a baby doesn't mean you get to act like one! I'm sure our little niece is healing you up as we speak."

"Where's Elijah?" Lexi asks.

"He said he'd be here any second."

"That's not good enough!" Lexi jumps off the bed as her eyes flicker bright red. "This baby is obviously dying, Rebekah. We need them now."

Rebekah staggers back a step. "Lexi, calm down."

"Calm down?" Lexi scoffs as she rests her arm over her head. "Calm down?! After everything I did to get down here without any connections, you have the audacity to tell me to calm down?"

Before Lexi can yell more, Elijah rushes into the room, his eyes instantly falling on Hayley. A woman runs in behind him.

"What the hell is she doing here?" Rebekah demands.

Lexi bites her lip. "Sophie Deveraux, I presume. The witch-bitch who tethered her life to Hayley's? Is that the only reason we can't kill her?"

Elijah holds out his hand. "Let her do what she can."

Sophie glances between the Originals, her guilty gaze finally landing on Hayley. "I may know a way to slow the fever down, but I'm gonna need some herbs. I can text you a list."

Rebekah narrows her eyes. "Fine. Happy to play the fetch girl. Come on, Lexi."

"Alexis stays here," Elijah says.

"Oh, do I?" Lexi clenches her jaw. She crosses her arms, but Elijah can see her fists waiting to punch something.

He sighs. "You know more about werewolves than anyone else. We need you here."

Lexi runs a hand down her face. "Fine." She sits on the bed and takes Hayley's hand. Black veins snake up her arms as she winces. "Rebekah, call if you cannot find anything."

The older blonde stomps away, leaving just Lexi, Elijah, Hayley, and Sophie. "Let's move her down to the pool. The tide is rising," Sophie says as she looks out the window. When she takes a step towards Hayley, Lexi growls. She throws her hands up in defense as Elijah steps in front of her.

"You think about touching her, and I will end you," Lexi snaps, her canines on display. "I just lost one pack, I will not let you take another."

Elijah's gaze softens as Sophie frowns. "I'm confused. I thought Klaus was the only hybrid," she says as Lexi gently helps Hayley sit up, wrapping a blanket around her. "but you are obviously a werewolf."

"The Original," Lexi replies with a glare. Sophie stumbles back a step. "I see you know me."

"I-I thought it was Klaus," she breathes. "Klaus is the Original Hybrid—"

"And I am the Original Alpha. Get over it." Lexi holds Hayley by the waist, wincing as the woman groans in pain. "Elijah, help me." Elijah lifts Hayley into his grasp, alleviating Lexi of all weight. Lexi purses her lips together. "Show off."

By the time they get to the pool, the sun had already set. Hayley sits by the edge as Sophie works on a spell using the herbs Rebekah had gotten. Elijah sits with Hayley while Lexi watches Sophie closely, Rebekah by her side.