19 | Destroy You

As Lexi and Klaus walk down the abandoned street, she trails behind her brother with her hands stuffed in her leather jacket. "You know, you made the right decision," Klaus calls back. "Kol needs to be stopped."

"Kol is terrified," Lexi replies. "Let me talk to him before we do this."

Patting his jacket where his silver dagger lies, Klaus asks, "Are you sure you're ready to do this?"

"I have to be," she says. With a sigh, she glances around and purses her lips. "Maybe you should keep a better eye on things while I'm gone. This town has gone to hell."

Klaus shakes his head, not noticing as Lexi stops. She looks over her shoulder at the setting sun, her eyes filling with grief. "I am so sorry for what's to come," she whispers, but she cannot see the pack watching her. She cannot see their faces in the light of sunset; she cannot fathom their expressions. All she can see is the end of the day.

Pain-filled screams echo through the neighborhood. Lexi meets Klaus' confused gaze. "Did that come from the Gilbert household?" Lexi asks, already walking towards the white fence. "If something's happened—"

Flames flicker before her eyes when she looks inside the house. Screams of agony ring in her ears like a never-ending call. Knowing Klaus is beside her, she steps up to the broken door with tears slipping down her cheeks. "Kol!" She roars.

Lexi runs into the Gilbert house, despite the flames rising from Kol's corpse. She takes his body, falling onto the terrace before she can get farther. Ripping the bloodied white oak stake from his chest, she takes off her leather jacket to pat away the smoldering flames. "You're ok, you're ok," she repeats, the mantra of lies forming in her skull as a safe haven. "Kol, wake up! You're ok! Come on!" She looks back at Klaus to see tears in his eyes. "I-I can't get the flames to go away. Give—give me your jacket."

"Lexi," he shakes his head.

"No! He can't be—" Lexi wipes away her tears before she shakes Kol's arms, letting the fire burn her skin. "Come back to me, please!" She cries as her eyes flicker red. "I-I'm so sorry, Kol, please come back to us. I need you! Come back!" Thunder booms in the clear skies.

"What did you do?" Klaus sneers at the Gilberts safe in their home.

"We didn't have a choice." Elena's voice makes Lexi growl. "He was trying to cut off Jeremy's arm!"

"Lies!" Klaus yells. "He never would've gotten inside if you hadn't have set a trap for him."

Lexi leans back on her knees, pressing her wrist against her dripping chin. Her eyes flicker red and blue, unable to stop. Her fangs cut into her lips as she presses her palms against Kol's smoking chest and begins to push down. "Come back." She orders, her voice as steady as she can make it—and even then, it comes out as a whimper. "Come back, Kol. Please!"

"You said you were going to put him down too," Elena says as Lexi begins to pant, her body rocking back and forth as she presses against Kol's chest.

"I was going to make him suffer on my terms!" Klaus glances at the wooden walls.

With a shout, Lexi slams her fists into Kol's chest. Again. And again.

He does not wake.

A roar escapes her lips as she slowly turns to face Elena and Jeremy. Her eyes, glowing blood red, appear dead. "I'm going to burn this house to the ground," she whispers, but they can hear her. "And when you try to run; when you feel the flames licking your skin as he did; when you beg for mercy, I will destroy you."

"You kill us, and you'll never get to the cure," Jeremy says, but the fear in his expression sends him stumbling away from the blonde. "Not to create more hybrids or for Rebekah. Not to mention that curse—"

"You think I care about some pretend cure or that bloody curse?!" Lexi shouts. "You murdered my brother! I do not care if I have to walk through hell; you will pay with your life, hunter. And, so you know, there are worse fates than death."

Klaus lets a wicked smirk cover his expression. "If you get to kill them, at least let me help with the torture."

Lexi shakes in fury. "You get an hour," she says. "And then, you bring them to me. Keep their hearts beating and make them suffer."

It only takes Lexi a second to move Kol's body to the ancient mound of dirt where dried up flowers lay. The quiet lake beside her calms her nerves as she stares down at Kol's charred corpse. "I cannot do this again," she whispers into the wind. "Not the way I am now. I hope you understand, Kol. I need to do this." She shuts her eyes tightly as she inhales deeply, the forest air swirling around her in a hurricane of dead leaves and snapped twigs.

When she opens her eyes again, no humanity shines through.

And she digs without a single tear on her face. Soil piles into the air until she kicks Kol's body into the makeshift grave. With a wave of her hand, the dirt replaces itself. "Say hello to Henrik for me."

KOL!!!! MY BABY!!! MY CUNNING ORIGINAL BABY!! I MISS YOUUUUUUUUU

Hope you enjoyed!

-L