44 | Enjoy the Party

Dancing drunks and flashing lights fill the Mikaelson compound as creatures file in with smiles on their faces. First, the witches with three Harvest Girls and Genevieve leading the way. Then, the vampires—Marcel's old friend Diego walks in front now that his leader has been exiled from the city. Finally, the newly turned werewolves with Jackson Kenner smiling along with his pack.

Elijah and Klaus stand at the banister, sharing a drink as they watch the people dance and bounce to the music. The moment the vampires and werewolves mix, Elijah leaves his brother to maintain the peace.

The pack stands in the center of the compound with a clear line of sight towards the door. "What are we doing here?" Malia asks as she crosses her arms. "And where's Lexi?"

"Probably left," Kira replies. "After what Klaus did, I would too."

"These are her memories," Stiles says. "so she's here somewhere."

Peter begins to smile when he looks back at the door. "And there she is."

Two women walk through the shadows of the entrance. One is Hayley, a hand placed on her protruding stomach as she attempts to walk gracefully into the building. Beside her, Lexi narrows her eyes at the commotion, her arm wrapped around Hayley's back.

In her long blue dress shimmering with light, Lexi detaches herself from Hayley to grab a glass of champagne. "Go find your pack," Lexi says softly. "Enjoy the night before it turns to hell."

"Where are you going?" Hayley asks as she plucks some food off the nearest table.

Lexi sighs as she glances around. "I must make some amends. Excuse me." She slips away from Hayley after capturing Jackson's attention. As the wolf approaches Hayley, Lexi walks over to the witches. "Hello, Genevieve," she says with a false smile.

The red-head glares at her. "Seems you've managed to slither your way back to New Orleans."

Lexi shrugs. "Yes, I have. I was wondering if I could talk to one of your acolytes?" From the corner of her eye, she sees Davina perk up. "Monique?"

"Of course."

Lexi turns her gaze on the young witch. Her expression tightens as she leans down, whispering in the girl's ear. "If you hurt so much as one hair on Davina's head, I will end you." As she pulls away, Monique stares at her without a hint of fear. "You'd do well to heed my warning, darling." Lexi runs a hand down Monique's arm; the girl shivers. "I always keep my promises."

Without waiting for approval, Lexi turns to Davina. "I'm glad you are back, love," she says with a soft smile. "We shall have to catch up." Davina nods, glancing between a pale Monique and Lexi's back as the blonde walks away.

Walking up the stairs, Lexi pauses half-way to look down on the partiers. Most do not notice her, only a select few watch as she whispers a spell, throwing her hand into the air. Confetti floats down from nowhere as Lexi makes her way to the second floor, away from the prying eyes of Francesca Correa, Davina, Genevieve, Oliver, and Elijah, who had not taken the time to notice her before.

Despite Elijah's attempts to follow her, Lexi makes her way to Klaus' study alone to find Jackson leaving conspicuously. "Apologies, Jackson," she says as she takes a step back. "You should return to the party."

He avoids her gaze as he walks away, leaving her alone with Klaus.

"Sister," he greets, crossing his arms over her chest.

Inhaling deeply, Lexi bites down on the inside of her cheek. "You are truly a fool if you think Elijah won't figure this out." Klaus frowns as Lexi steps into the room and runs her fingers over his painting brushes. "I may have been out of the Quarter for a while, but I know what is happening. Elijah wants peace, and, as always, you wish to mess it up."