16 | Save Cora

Lexi wakes with a gasp, her hand wrapping around her throat to feel her spine. After a moment she sighs, letting her head hang low. She runs a hand down her face before she catches sight of Derek lying unconscious at the other end of the elevator.

"Oh my god, Derek!" She crawls over, shoving him. "Derek? Derek, wake up!" She shakes his shoulders, her eyes roaming over his face. "Derek! Wake up!"

She looks up, her chest rising and falling quickly. "Why aren't you waking up?" She whispers to herself. "Why aren't you waking up?!" She stares at Derek, glancing at Peter and Stiles beside him. "Why does this keep happening?"

Derek kneels down next to her, his hands reaching up to her face only to fall through. "Lexi, it's almost over," Derek says softly. "Just a little farther."

"I'm scared," she admits, her voice cracking. "Y-You don't know what's coming."

"I don't care," Derek replies. "I see you. I see the Lexi who taught me how to dance before homecoming with Paige. I see the Lexi who took me stargazing when I was stressed. I know you think we'll hate you, but all I see is you."

A tear slips down her cheek. "What if that's not real?"

"It is," Stiles says. She looks over Derek's shoulder to meet his gaze. "It has to be real. Monsters are made, Lexi, and you're not one."

Footsteps make Lexi snap to attention. Her eyes glow blue as a younger version of Stiles slides to a stop before the elevator. "What happened?" Lexi asks when she sees the tears on his face.

"Jennifer took Melissa," he says. "Guardians, like parents."

"And where's Scott?"

Stiles' eyes move to Derek. "We gotta wake him up." The human hovers over Derek before he punches him. "Wake up!" Lexi blinks in shock as Stiles lands another punch. "Come on!"

At the third one, Derek's hand shoots up to grab Stiles by the wrist. "Where is she?" Derek asks.

"Jennifer?" Lexi asks. When his eyes find hers, he relaxes under Stiles. "Gone with Melissa."

"She took her?" Derek grunts as he pushes himself into a seated position.

"Yeah, and if that's not enough of a kick to the balls, Scott left with Deucalion," Stiles says. "So, we gotta get you out of here. The police are coming right now, and we gotta get you both the hell out of here."

Derek helps Lexi to her feet, not missing the way she runs a hand down her face to hide the drying tears. "What about Cora?" He asks.

Stiles gives them both a look.

Without thinking, Lexi grabs Derek's hand and uses her vampiric speed to run out of the hospital; she stops just at the edge of the clearing where Argents face off against Isaac and Peter. Peter is hidden behind the car as Isaac speaks with the hunters.

The moment she stops running, Derek doubles over his knees, breathing harshly. "What the hell was that?" He asks, looking up at her.

"No time." She walks into Argent's view, instantly opening the car door to get a look at Cora. Derek follows closely behind her, his eyes jumping between the hunters and his pack.

"Where's Scott and Stiles?" Allison asks.

"Stiles is still at the hospital," Derek replies. "He's gonna hold off the cops for us."

Peaking out of the car, Lexi says, "We have to go right now."

"What about Scott and Melissa?" Argent asks as Lexi motions for Derek and Isaac to get back into the car. "Lexi?"