7 | Mikaelson Ball

The Mikaelson Mansion is bustling with people, booze, and secrets. Voices echo off of the tall walls as people mingle with humans and supernaturals alike; even the entire Beacon Hills pack stands to the side as the Salvatores and Elena Gilbert saunter in.

"I don't like her," Malis says with a sneer. "She smells like death."

"That's a doppelgänger for you," Peter replies as his eyes roam the floor. "Anyone see Lexi?"

Derek's silence is answer enough for Peter. When he turns, following his nephew's gaze, he sees Lexi laughing with Kol by the bar, a drink in both of their hands. She wears a flowing red dress with a deep neckline. The loose fabric comes together at her waist before it gently lays against her body. Peter chuckles when he notices Derek's lips part. "You are such an idiot," Peter says as he shakes his head.

"Shut up," Derek snaps.

"If everyone could gather, please." Elijah's voice floats over the partiers. Both Kol and Lexi put their drinks down before joining Elijah at the stairs. While Kol moves the farthest up, Lexi stays further towards the floor. Elijah stands between all of his siblings—Rebekah behind him, Finn and Lexi to his right with Klaus and Kol standing above him. "Welcome, thank you for joining us," he says once everyone has quieted down. "You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance."

Lexi glances up at the stairs. She narrows her eyes as Esther quietly steps down. "Hello, Mother, nice of you to join," Lexi mutters under her breath, only loud enough for her siblings to hear.

"Do you see who I see?" Damon's scathing voice makes Lexi grimace. She sends him a soft glare when she meets his gaze.

Beside him, Stefan nods.

"Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz," Elijah says with a smile. "So, if you all could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom."

As Elijah trots down the stairs, Lexi feels Kol come up beside her. "So, who is your date for this dance?" He asks as he leads her to the ground.

"No one," she replies. "I have my own boy problems."

Kol chuckles. "What a surprise! Rebekah is not the only one fawning over a man."

Lexi shoves his shoulder with a shudder. "I do not fawn." She shakes her head. "I was going to dance with Finn, but..." She glances over to see an auburn-haired girl beside him. "It seems he has a date. How does a man who has been in a box for 900 years have a date when I have no one?"

"I wouldn't say that," Kol smirks as he looks behind her.

When she turns, she frowns when Stefan stands before her. "What do you want?" She asks.

"Dance?" He extends his hand.

She narrows her eyes. "You held my daggered family hostage."

He shrugs. "Anger came back first. Besides, I did save Klaus from being killed. I think you owe it to me."

Lexi pushes Kol back before he can skewer Stefan. She takes Stefan's hand, sending Kol a look. "Let's see how good you are with a waltz," she says as he leads her to the ballroom.

Give me love like her

'Cause lately I've been waking up alone

As the dance commences, Lexi and Stefan fall into a deep silence as they step to the music. Lexi sends a smile to her sister as the couples cross the dance floor.

Paint splattered tear drops on my shirt

Told you I'd let them go