32 | Stay Out of My Way

Darkness floods the French Quarter of New Orleans. A woman walks through the pews of St. Anne's church, finding one to slide in. She runs her fingers over the wooden benches as she stares at the altar.

She does not speak. Her blank gaze passes through the pack watching her. The only time she moves is when a distant door opens; she glances up at the ceiling and clenches her jaw.

Letting her clasped hands rest on her lap, Lexi narrows her eyes at the transept of the deadly church as a suited man and teenage girl appear from the shadows. Neither notices her.

"You'll keep your promise about your mother's spellbook?" The teenager asks, tilting her head as Elijah dusts off his suit.

"I will," he says as he looks back at her. "You know, difficulties aside, I value family above everything. I am sorry that yours failed you."

The girl glances away. "Your brother, Klaus, handed you to Marcel in a box, yet you still don't give up on him?"

"Well, I think I have given up on giving up. It's an affliction." Elijah sends her a playful smile. "I will fight for my family until my last breath."

"And I'll fight the witches until mine."

Lexi clears her throat.

The girl's eyes widen as she looks around the church. Elijah frowns as he turns to watch the woman stand. "Alexis," Elijah breathes. "What are you doing here?"

Lexi walks out from the pews with her hands in her jean pockets. "Klaus," she replies. She refuses to meet his gaze as she motions to the girl. "Is this the witch?"

Elijah shifts his weight, hiding the girl from sight.

"Relax, brother. I mean no harm," Lexi says with a sigh. "Any thorn in Klaus' side is a friend of mine."

"How'd you find me?" The girl demands, inching out from behind Elijah.

Shrugging, Lexi glances around. "You do realize this entire building is filled to the brim with magic, right? Where else would Marcel Gerard keep his witch ally? Especially when she is on the run from the French Quarter witches." The girl shares a confused look with Elijah. "You, Davina Claire, are being used."

"How do you know my name?"

Lexi clicks her tongue and leans against the nearest pew. "I support your cause," she says simply before she glances back at her brother. "It's time to meet the rest of our family. Rebekah is getting antsy, and I look forward to meeting this werewolf girl. Come along."

Elijah shakes his head as he steps away from Davina. "This is my sister, Alexis," he says, glancing at the girl over his shoulder. "She seems to have forgotten her manners."

"Maybe Klaus should learn some of his own," she snaps, her eyes flashing blue. She runs a hand over her face with a sigh. "Davina, I truly mean you no harm. I will get you Esther's spellbook if that is what you want. But I can feel the magic coming off of you—you need to learn control and fast, or else it will consume you."

The girl hesitates before she nods. "I know."

"Then it's settled." Lexi pushes off of the pew. "I'll contact you in a few days. Be ready."

Davina frowns. "I don't understand."

"I'll help you," Lexi says. "I am the best there is. I can teach you control. If you want, that is."

Davina's eyes widen. "Really? You will?"

"Of course, as I said," Lexi sends her a wicked smirk. "any thorn in Klaus' side is good in my book. Until then, Davina."