•Three•

Word Count: 1262

Warnings: Cussing, teens being teens, mini existential crisis, teasing.

Song for chapter 3 - "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper.

***

SEPTEMBER.

"Are you sure your dad won't be home?" I asked Beverly as she entered my house.

"Yeah, I don't think he should be home for another three hours," She replied, removing her boots.

It was 5:17 PM and there was still quite a while until my parents got home, so I had invited Beverly over, since her dad wasn't home at the moment either. I got us some food and drinks from the fridge and we sat down on the couch next to the TV and talked about random stuff.

"Why do feet smell and noses run?" I asked her. She looked at me in confusion for a moment and then laughed.

"I don't know," She replied.

"Hey, Bev, do you have a crush?" I asked her. Talking about typical teenager conversation topics.

"No, this is a kindergarten question, Y/N." Beverly replied, a bit annoyed.

"I was just asking. I'm trying out the stereotypes for teenager conversations." I explained.

"Oh my god, Becky! Did you hear about Bryan and Leah hooking up? Yeah, they're totally in love!" Beverly spoke in a high voice.

"WHAT?! I thought Bryan liked Beatrice!" I said, playing along.

"It turned out that Beatrice liked that douche Tom and Bryan hooked up with Leah to make Beatrice jealous. It didn't even work!" Beverly did a hysterical fake laugh.

"Sometimes I worry about the future," I said, my smile fading, "like you know, I'm probably going to move out of here and never meet you guys again."

"Getting philosophical, are we?" She grinned at me and raised an eyebrow.

"No, Bev, I'm serious. It just feels like everyone forgets most of their childhood, but we went through so much together-"

"Hey, hey, rise and shine, N/N, today is no day for weeping! Let's have fun and forget about the little shit that is life." She said, grabbing me by the hand and making me stand up from the couch

"You sound like Richie," I grinned. We ran to my room and I turned on a radio station, that played rock music.

"Yeah! Show me your moves, N/N!" She cheered as I danced around like a fool.

"Now break it down!" I exclaimed as the chorus came and we kept dancing. It felt so good to laugh and dance around. It was something I hadn't done in quite a long time.

Finally the song had ended and we layed on the floor, breathless and laughing. I looked over with an evil grin.

"Do you miss Billy boy?" I asked her, making a pouty face.

"Oh, shut up! No, I don't," Her face went red, almost the same shade as her hair, but more to the pink side.

"Uh huh. Billy boy told me all about how you guys made out and that there were fireworks everywhere. The poor dude was so in love with you." I teased her and she looked away in embarrassment.

"...so, when's the wedding?" I asked her after a moment of silence and she glared at me.

I suddenly remembered Bill was not the only one.

~

"January embers..." Beverly muttered.

"W-w-was that in the play?" Bill asked.