Chapter III

Poe rubbed his eyes and looked around his apartment. He didn't remember actually coming into his place. He didn't remember much at all.

Pressing a hand against his forehead, he tried recalling the previous night's events. He closed his eyes and a memory filled his mind. He could vaguely see the outline of a dark skinned man who was dangerously close to his face.

Poe didn't recognize the blurry image. He didn't even know anyone who looked close to that.

Sleepily, he sat up and looked down at his clothes that were the same as the night before. He yawned while pulling off his brown blood stained shirt and felt a pain shoot up the side of his torso and face.

He remembered Richard hitting him, narrowly escaping the truck and finally collapsing on the floor outside his door in the middle of unlocking it.

He still didn't remember the guy.

After putting on a pair of grey sweats and a muscle shirt, Poe realized what was missing. His jacket.

That jacket was the only thing he had brought from his old life and he didn't see it anywhere. He searched through the scattered clothes on the floor but still nothing.

He slipped a hand in his hair and gripped his curls tightly out of frustration. Shoving his shoes on his feet while he tried to brush his teeth wasn't easy, or smart, but he rushed so he could retrace his steps before the day started for many people.

Poe tossed his keys in his pocket and marched out of his apartment. After locking his door, he turned around and stood face to face with a broad black man that held a blank innocent look.

It was him.

Poe took a closer look at the person in front of him. He had light yellow dried paint smears that accented his jawline with a few more on his forehead that looked so good against his dark skin that glowed with beads of sweat dripping down from his hairline and neck.

Poe started to say something but the words didn't come out. He had left his studio more furious than he'd been in months and couldn't even take two steps before becoming choked up over the handsome man in front of him whose name he didn't even know.

He almost forgot about his jacket until he looked past the half open door behind the man and saw the unmistakable sleeve of leather in the doorway.

Poe's face lit up, "That's my jacket."

Finn turned behind him and nodded. "You left it in the hall and I didn't notice until after I made sure you were safe and in bed. You should probably grab it yourself," he said raising up his hands and waving his fingers covered in paint. "I wouldn't want to mess it up for you."

Poe smiled admiringly, something he didn't even know he could do anymore, and replied, "Thank you I- wait you p-put me in bed?"

After the words left his mouth, he stuttered and began to rephrase it but the man answered him before he could.

"You were unconscious and Ruth couldn't hold you so, um, I did."

Poe bit the inside of his cheek and hoped he didn't look flustered. He cursed himself silently. Here was this man who hadn't spoke for more than a minute and he was already giddy around him. "Well thank you, I appreciate it..." He trailed off waiting expectantly to hear the name of his new acquaintance.

"Finn, and you're welcome, Poe. By the way, you can step inside real quick to grab your jacket. Excuse the mess though, I'm an idiot and decided to paint the day after I moved in and put all my things in their place."

Poe grinned more than he probably should have. "I'm sure you're not an idiot but I'm gonna guess you're painting it yellow," he said sticking out his chin to motion up to Finn's head.

Finn reached up to touch temple and felt dry paint under his fingers. He hadn't noticed it was there before and sighed, "Yeah, although, I didn't think I'd be making such a mess-" or fool he thought, "Of myself."

Taking a step inside, Poe looked around the apartment. It sure was neater than his, even if Finn's belongings were scattered. The paint was still wet on the wall he had nearly finished.

Following Poe inside, Finn shoved his hands into his jean pockets nervously as his eyes ran over the curves that were Poe's backside. Gazing at his broad shoulders, then toned back and muscular arms, then the sweatpants that hugged the low part of his hips and his very nicely shaped-

"So do you like it?"

Finn froze and took a second before choking out the word, "What?"

"The apartment."

He let out a shaky breath, "Oh, oh, yes it's a nice little place. I didn't have enough money or stuff for a bigger area but this is perfect. It's not near traffic or anything and the neighbors seem nice enough. Especially Ruth."

A small shadow of a smile curved on Poe's face. "Yeah, she's been making sure I'm okay from afar. Talks to me every now and then asking about my day and all that."

Grabbing the jacket, Finn nodded. "She asked me to carry you inside since she couldn't. I'm glad I was there. Are you alright though?" he asked concerned, "You seemed pretty out of it."

Poe ran a hand through his hair and chuckled, "Just a long exhausting day at work that's all."

Finn placed the jacket in Poe's arms and caught eyes with him. Nodding his head toward the still red cut under his eye, Finn asked, "Are you sure? You look like you got jumped."

Reaching up to his face with his free arm, he winced at the touch that irritated the tender skin. Poe groaned lightly in annoyance, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just got in a fight with a door that's all."

Finn raised a brow but didn't press further. It wasn't his place to poke his nose in the business of someone he just met. "Uh huh."

He shifted his feet not sure how to change the subject so he moved out of the entrance way to let Poe walk out.

"Thanks for holding my jacket for me," Poe said as he took a step towards the door. He desperately searched his brain to think of something to say to carry the conversation but nothing came to mind. He was half way through the door when he said-

"Paint!"

Finn tilted his head at the word as if was foreign. "Paint?"

Poe made a mental note to beat himself up later but nodded slowly and paced out the words. "Paint. I could help you paint, if you want."

They both tried to hide their childish smiles as Finn opened the door back up.

"Sure."