Chapter XXVI

It was when the moon finally shined onto Poe's eyelids that he woke up. He rubbed his eyes and he opened them to look over at Finn who was still sleeping on the bed.

After about ten minutes or so, Finn finally shifted around on the bed and groaned. "I thought they said I'd feel better after I sleep," he mumbled.

Poe looked up from the book in his hands and nearly fell out of the couch. He scrambled to his feet and tossed his book on the chair behind him. "How are you feeling?" he concerned.

"For being stabbed seven hours ago, not too bad," Finn joked. "Although I might need someone to take care of me for a day at the apartment."

Poe scoffed, "Like I'm letting you anywhere else for the next week. You're gonna be bed bound buddy so start getting used to it."

Finn smiled, a real smile, not a wimpy half one, and it made the heavy weight on Poe's shoulders a little less burdensome.

"Doc said you're all done. I also had someone to take the car back to the apartment so we're going in your truck and I'm sure you won't mind me driving," Poe explained as he inched closer to the bedside.

Finn shook his head and blinked slowly. The moonlight was directly behind Poe so a shadow was cast on his face but, man, he looked so heavenly. "You look so pretty," he mumbled under his breath.

"What?"

"Oh, I said I need you to help me out of here. I don't particularly feel like falling flat on my face after I lose my balance," Finn said with a groan as he pulled the sheets over him and turned over to sit himself upright.

Poe immediately swung Finn's arms over his shoulder and ducked down so he could help him up. "Ready to go?"

Finn nodded, "More than I'll ever be, I suppose."

•••

"I didn't get to tell you sorry... for everything," Finn sighed. Guilt had overridden as they made their way back to the apartment him and he felt so terrible for letting himself get extremely upset last night.

Poe narrowed his eyes at him when he glanced to the passenger side. "You're sorry? I'm the one who got you and those guys so angry in the first place. I'm the one who should be sorry."

"Call it even," Finn concluded as they pulled into the dark apartments' parking lot.

The truck screeched to a halt and turned off the lights leaving nothing but the dim stair lights. The two men looked at each other expectantly and after a few moments, Poe cleared his throat and nodded at the stairs in front of them. "Shall I carry you up?"

Finn laughed, "I think I'm good. But I'll definitely use you as support."

Poe got out first and walked around to Finn's side and opened the door for him and to help him down carefully.

When Finn took an anxious breath as he looked at the flight of stairs in front of him, Poe slid his hand from his shoulder down to meet Finn's fingers and laced them with his. They looked at another and nodded encouragingly.

"I've got you every step of the way," Poe said as they began their incline.

After about five minutes of Finn groaning and Poe lightly cheering him on and squeezing his hand, they finally made it up to their level and limped into the apartment.

Finn took a seat on the tall bed that was set, now, with only the headboard on a wall while Poe sat on a stool at the counter who hung his head low as he finally processed the entirety of the situation in front of him. He swung his feet beneath him and wondered how long it would take for him to finally gather the courage to tell Finn what he'd been thinking nonstop for five very long excruciating past months.