Chapter XVI

Finn opened the door quietly making sure not to be too loud. He was back early than he thought from his day trip so he assumed Poe would still be up but went in cautiously just in case.

Thankful that he had thought ahead, Finn sighed relieved when he saw Poe fast asleep sprawled out across the bed. He was snoring softly which never bothered Finn much until he was right behind his ear.

Finn slipped off his shoes silently and left them next to his dresser as he pulled off his shirt to change. He decided to just sleep in shorts tonight since it was on the warmer side and didn't want to bother Poe.

Carefully moving his limbs from where he usually sleeps, Finn settled into bed trying his best to stay closer to the edge so he wouldn't accidentally wake Poe up.

The rustling of sheets worried Finn that he had woken him up but when he began to turn over, he felt curly hair tickle the back of his neck and stopped moving. He smiled knowing that Poe was doing what he had been doing in his sleep the past few weeks.

When Finn would come in late from work and Poe was already asleep, Poe would stir every now and then until Finn laid in bed with him. Once he got in bed as well, Poe would curl up next to him and fall into a deep unmovable slumber for the rest of the night.

Finn felt a cold hand brush up against his bare back and took a sharp breath at the motion. Poe's hands were cold and calloused but soft and warm in a way. He wasn't sure how to explain it but he knew exactly what he meant.

Sometimes he thought about flipping over and just falling asleep holding Poe safely in his arms in case he woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. Although Poe hadn't had a nightmare in weeks, Finn still tried his best to make sure he was there in case they would ever come back again.

It was a comfortable space, Finn thought as he took a look at the apartment in the dark. It had plenty of room for the both of them to move freely and not feel confined. They had their things mixed together like they've been living together for years. It was perfect. And with Poe next to him fast asleep, there wasn't anything that could ruin a good thing like this.

•••

"Why are you thinking about moving out?" Finn asked twisting his hands in confusion. "This place is perfectly fine for the both of us I thought. We've lived here for two months. Is it not good enough for you? Am I not a good roommate?"

Poe placed a firm hand on Finn's shoulder, "You are the best person I've ever could've asked for, don't ever say that. It's just- after playing for a few weeks there are people who have noticed me and have hired me to play for them, I have good enough income so you don't have to have me here. You know I never wanted to have you keep me here longer than I had to."

Finn shook his head, "You still don't get it do you? I like us living together. You're not the burden you think you are. It's fun, we get along, it's easier to split rent and we don't have to worry about being far."

Poe frowned at his friend's somber facial expression. He didn't mean to upset him; he had just mentioned the possibility of moving out if he could find a nice cheap apartment like his old one.

It wasn't that Poe wanted to move, of course he longed to have their set up for more of an extended time but as their friendship grew, inevitably, so did Poe's feelings. Somedays he nearly burst at the seams just thinking about them two living together in the distant future but actually being together.

Of course it was easy to live with someone like Finn. He was compassionate and kind and always knew what words to say to Poe to lift his spirits or make him laugh when he was mad. They had their own lives but when they came to the apartment at the end of the day, everything seemed to intertwine perfectly and they could talk endlessly to another for hours. But that's also what made it so difficult for him to think about leaving, even if he didn't want to.