Chapter IX

a/n: second slide has
Never Had by Oscar Isaac 🥺

"Mmm dish ish sho good," Poe moaned as he took a bite of his burger. He waved it at Finn, "These are way better than the diner."

Finn laughed and took a sip of his shake, "Yeah, you might want to take a breath before you pass out though. I wouldn't want to carry you home for a third time in the past four days."

Poe pointed a fry at him, "At least this time it would be my fault." He shrugged," Besides I'm just helping your arms look better."

"Are you insulting my arms, Dameron," Finn drawled sarcastically.

Taking a long drink of his chocolate shake, Poe shook his head and smirked, "Oh never, your arms are perfectly fine."

Finn tried his best to hide a smile by rolling his eyes and taking a mouthful of his burger.

Poe couldn't help but grin at the slow turning red ears in front of him and lifted his head proudly to toss the fry in his mouth.

Coming out to Finn was a lot easier once he had embraced it, which was easier for him to do after moving to California. He could be a new person without expectations and that released some of the anxiety he had coming from home. But it still didn't patch up the old wound that pained him more than the beating he got yesterday.

He knew that Finn wouldn't ridicule him but he knew that it could possibly put a strain or space between the two of them if he wasn't necessarily comfortable but they seemed to be doing pretty good for the moment being.

•••

It had been four weeks and between Poe and Finn both trying their best to find a job for Poe, they still weren't able to find one soon enough for Poe to pay rent.

"I have no idea what I'm gonna do dude," Poe said running his hands through his hair leaving it messy. (Or tousled as Finn liked to call it.) "I've looked for two weeks and there's not a single job that's said yes!"

Finn soothed, "Hey listen, if worst comes to worst, you'll just move in with me for a bit until you get back on your feet."

"Oh I'm sure Lily's gonna love you having roommate when you guys wanna be all gushy when she comes over," Poe croaked sarcastically.

Finn glowered at him, "Come on, you know how much she's been wanting you to find a job too. She won't mind a bit about you crashing with me for a while. Now if we were living together that'd be a little different but that's not happening anytime soon."

"I just don't want to disrupt you," Poe frowned. "You've got your whole set up going over there and I know having an extra bed and dresser over there won't help you."

"It's fine, really, don't worry about it. We'll keep looking around for jobs and if none come up, you know where I'm at," Finn said putting his hand on Poe's shoulder. "I got you."

Poe pressed lips together into a thin line, "I know you do, buddy."

Finn stood up from the chair, "I gotta go meet up with El but why don't you drive around keep looking for some places. Never know if you could find something."

"Alright but you better watch out crossing the street, you might blind someone," Poe teased looking down at Finn's yellow shoes that he'd found the two weeks ago. He had kept teasing him about how ridiculous they were but he secretly loved seeing him wear them.

"Ha, too bad you can't paid for making fun of me," Finn said taking his last steps out the door.

"I wish!" Poe called out before the door was shut behind him.

After being left to be alone, Poe dragged himself over to his bed and let himself collapse. He was tired of getting told he wasn't needed or not even getting feedback at all. It wasn't like he could stop trying though, he had to somehow make rent. Putting the burden of a roommate on Finn wasn't exactly what he wanted to do.

It had been a few weeks since Finn and Lily started to see each other. They immediately clicked; he knew they would. He couldn't even be upset, she was amazing and liked being around her too. She was like Finn, they were both so passionate with everything they did and their energy just bounced off another.

They would include him in activities they did as much as they could and he would oblige every now and then but sometimes he'd just look at them and see how happy Finn was with her and would just think about how he wanted that to be him. He wasn't resentful or jealous just kind of wished it could've been him.

He never let himself dwell about it, he was content with just being near him but he still felt electricity when Finn would touch him and he'd blush when he got a little closer than usual.

Poe sighed, "I need a life."

He swung his foot over the edge of this bed and tapped the case underneath. It was still there, not that it should be gone, he'd never touched it.

He paused and thought about opening it for a second. It'd been so long but maybe it would help him get some feelings off his chest.

Leaning over to pull the large guitar case from under his bed, Poe heaved it on his lap and wiped a hand across the old plastic letting dust fly. He opened the tabs and looked inside at the glossed wood. It was exactly as he was remembered, pick still wedged into the exact place it was a year ago.

He set the case down and held the six string close to his body. Chills went up his spine as he plucked the cold out of tune strings that filled the room. He twisted each tuning key and played the strings one by one until the chords were perfect.

He wasn't even sure what song to play so he tried his best stroke out a few classic chords and once he started to remember them, his memory refreshed and he played out Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles to practice.

Poe set down the guitar after a while and found a paper and pencil and started writing down some lyrics. After an an hour and a half, he had written out the basics of a song.

"In this motel
Well pass midnight
When I'm bluer than a bruise.
You come drifting in, through the half-light
In your funny yellow shoes.
I hope that's you standing, at my doorway;
That's the scratching of your key
And I hope this song I'm singing
Someday finds you
Where ever you may be.

Through the good times and the bad
You were the best I never had
The only chance I wish I had to take
There was no writing on the wall
No warning signs to follow
I know now, and I just can't forget
You're the best I never had."

Poe finished singing out the lyrics with all the emotion he had pent up in the past few weeks with everything and nodded contently with a small smile.

That's exactly what he had needed.