Chapter XXIV

Finn had never gotten beat up before. Of course there was the occasional punishment that came with growing up in an orphanage and being bullied by kids for his race, but never beat to a pulp.

But when he cried out for pain as the men pounded him, it was terrible and it was excruciating.

He couldn't do anything. He crawled on the floor trying to get away but he didn't have the strength and the men kept kicking him. He curled into a ball and stayed like that until he heard Poe yell.

"Get off me! Finn!"

Finn looked up from the concrete and saw Poe being manhandled by another pair of men. He was bloody already too but it didn't stop him from using all his strength to try and get to Finn.

Poe looked at the crimson stained face of Finn of the floor and an anger boiled up inside of him he'd never felt before. No one touched Finn like that.

He pounded his arms against the guys as much as he could until one of their grips loosened and he slipped an arm from him. He swung to punch the man straight on the jaw and knocked him on his back. With an arm free, it was easier to break free from the other guy but Finn was still on the floor.

"Get away from him," Poe yelled before the two men pulled him back from his friend once more.

The two that surrounded Finn yanked him to his knees holding him by his shoulders and biceps.

Poe's stomach grew sick when he saw a shiny flash of metal in one's hand. "No. Please no, no, don't hurt him," he cried out.

The man to the left of Poe bellowed in his ear, "You wanna make a fool of us in public. You two are nothing but queer brown boys. Time someone showed you both a lesson."

Finn looked down at the man with a knife in his hand that was dangerously close to his side. He took a deep breath and glanced at Poe's distraught face. He'd never seen him this purely terrified of anything before. Tears were streaming down his face mixing with blood and dripping onto the concrete beneath him.

"Buddy," Poe croaked as his mouth filled with tears and blood as he opened it. The worst part of all was he couldn't do anything. He tried so hard but couldn't even budge.

And when he heard Finn's almost silent groan, it was more than he could handle.

After a few moments that seemed to last a lifetime, the men threw them both down on the concrete in front of each other and with a few last kicks, walked back down the alley and disappeared into the parking lot.

Poe crawled to Finn who was face down on the ground. He slid his arms underneath his body and cradled him as he sobbed. "Finn, buddy, I'm- I cant believe- I'm so sorry..."

Barely opening his eyes, Finn sighed as he tried his best to crack a smile through a busted bloody lip. "You should be. I'm gonna have a mighty big scar for you."

Poe only cried more and pressed a hand gently on the side of Finn's face stroking the unhurt part softly. He leaned down to press his quivering lips to Finn's temple.

As he pulled back, Finn, badly injured, still managed to joke. "I'm all better now."

Poe bit back the small laugh of relief he needed and trailed his eyes down to Finn's side. Even through the blazer, the blood managed to seep through and Poe's eyes grew wide. "You need a doctor," he gasped. "You're losing a lot of blood."

"Good idea," Finn said with a nod as he tried to pick himself up but winced and fell back into Poe's arms. "I guess it's your turn to carry me now, huh?" he said with a groan trying to hold back a yell from the excruciating pain.

Poe pulled off Finn's blazer and carefully tied his around his side to put a little pressure on the stab. He draped Finn's arms across his shoulder trying his best not to touch his wound. He was still crying and shaking but he pulled it together enough to help Finn to the car.

"I'm so sorry buddy," he whispered after the car was silent for a few minutes.

"It's okay, you're okay right?" Finn breathed out shakily.

"Me? You're worrying about me?"

Finn groaned as the car took a sharp turn to the right. "Of course. I need you with me."

Poe shook his head in disbelief. How in the world could Finn be worrying about him when he just got stabbed? "What you need is a doctor," Poe said as he stopped at the red light looking at the big emergency building in the distance.

When he didn't hear Finn respond, Poe looked over to the passenger side to see him lumped over half-asleep.

Poe lurched over the middle console to gently shake him. "Hey no no no stay awake I need you to stay awake for me, please."

A small grunt came from Finn's lips and he shifted in his seat. He looked back at Poe who was only inches away from his face. All he could think about was how pretty he looked and- his side began to hurt more and he felt more and more faint. "Poe I'm so tired," he murmured.

Poe shook his head and placed a hand on his cheek. "I know buddy but keep your eyes open alright. You just gotta stay with me for a little longer then you'll be okay."

"Okay," Finn whispered as he licked his lips and ran his eyes over Poe's face. It was tear stained and had dried blood on it but he still looked beautiful. He pressed his eyes shut and leaned forward to brush a kiss on Poe's forehead. "I'll be okay, I promise."

Poe nodded and leaned back into his seat as the light turned green and made his way to the hospital.

He's gonna be okay, Poe said to himself. It's gonna be okay. It has to be okay.