Chapter VIII

It took Poe all of one minute to smile when they got in Finn's truck together. He couldn't help it. Like he said, Finn was just that type of person.

Finn had turned on the radio and Endless Love came on which resulted in him rolling down the windows and singing it for the world to hear after Poe dared him to. Even though he knew it would be terrible at the moment, Poe couldn't help but join him in his hoarse cracked voice.

He was ambivalent about the way Finn made him feel. Being vulnerable with someone was very hard for him to do. He didn't want to be hurt by someone he trusted again.

"That girl seemed pretty nice," Poe managed to push out. He wanted some type of gauge of what was happening here so he knew how far to distance himself.

Finn nodded as he took a turn. "Yeah she was really nice. First time anyone's talked to me about anything other than pictures." He looked over at Poe and smiled, "Other than you of course but we're different than them."

Poe tried his best not to let him heart leap out at that one. "Yeah that's nice. How are we different though?"

Finn turned the volume dial down a little as he stopped at a red light and shifted his body towards Poe. "Cause you weren't a client. We just. Met."

Poe lifted his head slowly as if he was trying to grasp the concept of the sentence. "Like... fate."

Finn grinned as the light turned green and he let the truck lurch forward. "Like fate."

•••

"I'm surprised the damn thing wasn't ruined already," Poe scoffed when he found his car in mediocre shape. It still had that scratch on the side but nothing more than dirt and buildup.

"Hey, it could be worse," Finn said bumping their shoulders together. "There could've not even been a car here."

Poe rolled his eyes, "Yeah yeah Mr. Brightside. Let me be a downer after the past few days of feeling like complete shit."

Finn crossed his arms and chuckled. "Mr. Brightside," he mumbled.

Poe looked up from the side of his car. "Hm?"

"Oh nothing, it's just a last name," Finn said with a dismissive wave. He looked down at Poe who raised a brow at him in confusion. Finn didn't blame him, his rambling seemed weird for someone who already had a last name.

The thing was that Finn didn't. He was left with only a note from whoever dropped him off. 'To F.N'  it had written as the greeting. He used to read over that letter everyday but never had too much anger towards the person just wonder. In fact, he thought he'd make them proud if he ever did find them. But it gave him a real example of the real world. He couldn't always depend on things lasting but he'd sure as hell make them worth their time.

"Uh huh," Poe drawled, still very lost. "What's wrong, buddy?"

Finn gave him a half smile, "I don't really have a last name."

"Oh," Poe said standing up to lean on the side of the car. "I didn't think about that. I'm sorry." He reached out his arm to hold Finn's shoulder comfortingly.

Finn shrugged, "It's okay, I just never tried giving myself a last name. Of course I hoped I could maybe be related to Tom Selleck or something but I released that wouldn't exactly work after a while."

Poe laughed. "No no that's definitely a possibility, don't cross him off yet," he teased.

Finn shook his head smiling, "You're an idiot, I hope you know that."

Poe put his hands up defensively, "Hey now, you didn't have to help me that first day. Your fault, you have to put up with me now."

"Yeah, I get to put up with you," Finn sighed with the shadow of a curve on his lips.

It was starting to get dark and they decided it would be best to get out of the diner's back parking lot before anyone would realize they were there. Especially Richard.

Poe had told Finn the whole story. How Richard had hated him since the day he stepped foot in there to beating him and firing him. And since there was any chance of Finn trying to get pay back, Poe decided it was best for them to leave so they didn't get the cops on them for disruption of peace. They decided to go to In-N-Out.

They both got in their vehicles and started backing out when Richard came out of the back exit of the diner. Poe tried his best to hurry and leave before Richard ran after him but Finn had a completely different idea.

Finn rolled down the driver's window to his car and while turning the leave the parking lot held out his hand and extended his middle finger at the man. "Fuck you dude!"

Poe burst out laughing while shaking his head honking at him to tell him to get his dumb ass going and they drove down the street roaring with laughter with the windows down for everyone to hear.

"I'll race you there! Loser pays!" Poe yelled at him when they arrived side by side at a red light.

"Oh dude your on, get ready to eat my dust," Finn shouted revving the engine of his truck.

Poe copied the act and turned the radio up while they both stared at the light waiting for it to illuminate a bright green.

Go.

The light switched to green and they took off trying their best to weave in and out between vehicles without being too dangerous.

Poe pulled into the In-N-Out parking lot a full three seconds before Finn did and he triumphantly held it over his head as they walked into the restaurant.

Finn went up to register with Poe teasing him the whole way.

"Hmm, a cheeseburger or two sounds good but so does a hot dog and some fries. Maybe a shake and a soda."

The cashier greeted them politely, "What can I get you two guys today?"

Finn sighed, "I'll take a cheeseburger combo with a vanilla shake and he'll..."

Poe laughed at his friend's demeanor and leaned over to the cashier. "Y'know," he said looking down at her name tag to read her name. "Paige, he's just real disappointed that I beat him here and he's gotta pay for me."

"That sucks real bad," Paige said with a giggle. She lowered her voice just enough for him to hear her, "I'd cover for you if he wasn't going to though."

Poe leaned back and crossed his arms with an amused grin. "Well maybe I should pay for myself then."

Finn narrowed his eyes at the girl. What a cheap shot, he thought to himself.

"You gonna order, Poe?" He said pushing a fist into his shoulder. "Or should I let you be a kiss up."

Poe put a clapped a hand on his chest. "I got it buddy," he said leaning into him to whisper in his ear. "Free food."

Finn rolled his eyes and pulled back, "Yeah good luck," he scoffed as he went to find them a table for two in the back in case that cashier wanted to squeeze her way in.

It wasn't like he was jealous. He was just- Okay maybe he was a little jealous. She wasn't that pretty. Poe could do way better. Besides it's not like Finn had ever openly flirted with someone else in front of him. Except for maybe Lily but that was different-

Poe slid into the booth across from Finn interrupting his thoughts.

"Guess who just got a free meal and an extra order of fries for us," he said proudly with his thumbs pointed at himself.

"Yeah good job for being a flirt," Finn said dipping a brow low and draping his arm over the back of the seat.

Poe held a finger up, "Nuh uh, for food. Besides it's not like I'm gonna take her out or anything. They're not really my type."

Shifting in his seat and resting his arms on the table, Finn tilted his head, "Who's not really your type?"

Poe smiled.

"Girls."