Chapter XX

"I never noticed that before," Finn said as he observed the gold chain around Poe's neck when he bent over to pick up a book.

Poe lifted his hand to grab the chain and tuck it back into his shirt. "Oh, yeah I never really show it," he explained as he stood straight and ran a hand through his hair and placed it on his hip.

With a small slow nod, Finn sat on the stool next to the counter and grabbed his coffee cup. "Who's ring is it," he asked as he took a drink with his eyebrows raised.

Poe rubbed his hands together anxiously. "It's my ma's ring. I got it before I moved after my parents... y'know."

"I'm so sorry Poe. I know you don't talk about your family or Georgia much. I don't wanna pressure you," Finn apologized as he got up and stood behind him to wrap his arms around him.

Poe leaned his head against Finn's and turned around placed a hand firmly on his shoulder, "I don't mind, it's just not a happy story."

Without hesitation, Finn half smiled comfortingly, "No matter what, I got you."

As they both sat at the counter, Poe took a deep breath. "I was sixteen when they got in the accident. They were in Guatemala visiting family and their van crashed and they died on impact. They said it was quick. But there wasn't much left from the site except her ring so I took it. I always wear it but I never leave it out. And now I'm just kinda waiting for the right person to wear it."

Finn knew his parents had passed a while back but he never wanted to ask because he knew how difficult and painful that could be. "I'm so sorry..."

Poe shook his head, "I should've gone with them."

"Don't say that-"

"Being with him was worse than being gone. You don't know how many times I had to find a place to stay because he'd kick me out for his friends. And those were lucky days."

Finn pressed his lips together in a fine line in aggravation. "Your uncle?"

He nodded. "He found out I was gay and- well if you thought you'd seen me beat up before..."

"Fuck, Poe," Finn said slipping his hand under his to console him. "You didn't deserve to go through that. I'm so-"

"Worse part is that he didn't care about it. He did it purely to hurt me, it was just like another excuse. I still have the scar on my back when he threw a beer bottle at me," Poe sighed as he lifted his arm over his shoulder to pull his shirt down and turn around to show the scattered scars on his shoulder blade.

Finn raised a hand and gently traced his fingers over the pink skin that had been noticeably tainted years ago. It was like touching Poe's past that he never had seen him experience and it pained him that he hadn't met him sooner. But he was here now, and there was no way he was letting him go through something like that again. He couldn't bear to think of the image of a young Poe being harassed and abused. It made his stomach gurgle sickly.

"I miss them so much," Poe whispered so quietly that Finn nearly didn't hear him. "But I know they're somewhere in those stars. I guess that's why I'm always looking up there."

Finn slid his hand to the edge of his shoulder and tugged Poe to turn him back towards him. His heart dropped when their eyes connected and all he saw were tears ready to fall.

Poe shifted his gaze from Finn to the floor embarrassed at how vulnerable he was and how badly he just wanted someone to hold him.

As if he had read his mind, Finn cupped his finger under his chin and gently lifted Poe's face back up to look at his and slid his hand around his neck and pulled his head into his chest. Finn buried his face in Poe's hair and caught the familiar scent of coconut from those few nights that Poe would curl up into Finn's chest in his sleep. Those were his favorite nights.

"I'm sorry," Poe mumbled softly into his shirt.

Finn pulled back his head with furrowed brows. "Why?"

"Because you're taking care of me when you don't have to."

"I want to. More than anything I want to be here for you. No matter what," Finn said firmly. He wanted Poe to know that he did care even when it seemed like no one else did.

Poe stood up hesitantly; he didn't want to leave the comfort of Finn's arms but he was exhausted.

They both got ready to sleep and after changing and taking showers, (separately) they laid down in bed with heavy sighs in unison.

Finn turned on his side toward the wall to be face to face with Poe. It was dark but he could see the outline of his features and glimmer in his eyes.

"Do you want me to hold you in case you get a nightmare?" Finn asked hesitantly as his voice shook nervously.

"Okay," Poe whispered but he was too scared to move first.

Finn reached his arm out and around Poe and pulled his body closer. He felt a pair of cold hands press on his chest and Poe's face tuck under his chin snuggly.

Poe started, "Buddy-"

"I know. Just get some sleep."