Chapter XIII

Finn's eyes fluttered open as he heard the rustling of sheets behind his back. He didn't turn to look until he heard the gentle creak of a foot stepping onto the wooden floors. The silhouette of Poe with glimmers of moonlight on the side of his face walked over to the window and quietly lifted it. He began to lift his leg over the sill and crawl out of the apartment.

Finn sat upright as the sheets pooled around his stomach. What in the world was he doing?

Copying his movement, Finn slipped out of bed and tilted his head as he made his way to the window to see Poe sitting on the edge of the fire escape letting his legs sway beneath him.

He watched as the moonlight and shadows danced across his skin and sighed at the serene moment in front of him. He almost didn't want to talk to him and ruin the dreamlike image but his curiosity took ahold and let him find his way next to him.

"You should be asleep," Finn whispered as he stared out at the city before them. No wonder he had come out here, it was beautiful. And then he took a look at Poe, and he didn't want to look at the view of the other buildings anymore.

Gripping his hands on the bar in front of his chest, Poe murmured, "I couldn't sleep."

"Oh," Finn said and had looked closer at the man next to him, who's gaze was still locked on something past the city. He had beads of sweat in his hairline that dripped down his neck and disappeared into the collar of his shirt. "Why couldn't you sleep?" Finn asked curious but not pressingly.

He shook his head and rested it against his arms that were folded on the steel bar. "It's nothing," Poe whispered while his voice broke. "I'm fine-" he couldn't even finish the last word.

Finn's heart sunk low and he swung his legs back onto the fire escape crossing them while facing towards Poe. He watched as his sorrowful face looked towards him with watery eyes. Finn's eyebrows pushed together in worry and out of pure instinct, wrapped his arms under Poe's, holding his body close to his.

Poe was still for a moment before burying his face into the crook of Finn's neck and pulling him closer. He lifted his arms draping them over Finn's shoulders and letting one hand grasp the back of his neck. He put all the emotions he had pent up in the last month into holding him; he wasn't sure when the next time this type of embrace with him could happen again so he made the most of it.

"It's okay, I've got you," Finn soothed as he held Poe close to him feeling his body tremble against him.

Poe was crying.

And that, that was what broke Finn's heart in two.

He pressed his head against Poe's and let the corner of his lips brush against his ear. "You're gonna be okay," Finn said in the quietest shakiest whisper he could let out.

Poe sniffled and shuddered under the cool breath against his ear that sent a trail of chills down his spine and every other part of his body. And although it made his skin feel cold, his heart had never felt warmer. He was past the point of no return.

•••

They watched the sun rise together and sat in perfect silence until Finn had to go to take some pictures for the local newspaper. They had hired him as a photographer and it was nice to have a constant day job. But that meant he left Poe at the apartment during the day. He hated leaving Poe alone because he knew how much he could beat himself up without distractions but he helped him by making sure he always had something to do. He would ask him to get some groceries every now and then, find new places for dinner and make sure the older lady, Ruth, was doing alright.

They didn't talk about that night again, though. Although they had barely said any words, both of them had a mutual agreement that it was a something very delicate that wasn't to be referenced.

Since then, about two weeks, Poe had begun to sleep a little better and started sleeping against the wall again. He woke up less and had fewer and fewer nightmares. What Poe didn't know though was that when Finn woke up, Poe's arms were draped around him and his head was nuzzled into the nape of Finn's neck.

Finn never told him. He knew he would just get embarrassed and refuse to sleep in the same bed anymore because he didn't want to bother him. But Finn liked waking up with Poe next to him. He wasn't sure what that meant but it gave him a blissful smile every time he woke up for work. And he didn't want that to change. Even if didn't know the real meaning behind it.