Chapter XXI

Finn held Poe's gaze as they ate breakfast at the counter. They weren't really sure what they were doing but they made stupid faces as they were.

Finally, Finn broke away and blinked his dry eyes as Poe scooped cereal in his mouth lifting his head high. "I win," he said proudly through a mouthful of food.

"You're abnormal," Finn stick out his tongue and stood from his seat to wash out the bowl at the sink.

Poe followed him and waited next to him for his turn to rinse his bowl. "Thanks. So are you excited for your big shoot today?"

Finn groaned, "Absolutely not. I know I'm gonna mess up."

"Hey try to be more positive!" Poe cheered.

"I'm positive I'm gonna mess up. And if I do, it could ruin the reputation I've built," Finn cried out as he put the bowl on a towel that was laid on the counter to dry.

Poe washed his bowl and set it next to Finn's before grabbing him by the shoulders and giving him a small squeeze. "Or you could do wonderful and you could be the greatest photographer in the area," he singsonged.

"Or not."

"Or could,"

"Or not."

"Shut up, you will be," Poe assured. He only knew one photographer so his opinions may have been biased but he had a lot of faith in his friend.

Finn shook his head and walked over to their closet to find some clothes. "I don't believe in myself whatsoever."

"Well I do," Poe called out from the kitchen as he tidied up their living space.

Finn should've been nervous. He was taking official pictures for the soon-to-be-newly-inducted mayor. Their secretary had seen his work, suggested him and now he was absolutely thrilled and terrified of the opportunity.

He'd always been scared to mess up, especially at the orphanage. After he was eighteen, they didn't have to keep him around and if he messed up he would be gone with nowhere to go.

"Help me pick an outfit, I'm too nervous to think properly," Finn whined and leaned his forehead on the wall with a sad moan.

Poe sat down to tie his shoes and without looking up said sarcastically, "Stripes and polka dots are always the way to go."

"Come on," Finn dragged. "I need help."

With a final tug at his laces, Poe stood to help his roommate. "Well I always like it when you wear that blue blazer under the white button up," he tried mentioning as casually as possible since he loved that blue blazer on him.

Finn quickly pulled off his tee, changed into the dress shirt and put on the blazer. "Okay I like it," he said looking at the mirror hung on the door.

"So do I," Poe murmured as he chewed on his bottom lip getting a fluttery feeling when Finn looked him with a small curve of a smile on his face.

They simultaneously felt a tug at the bottom of their stomach and both broke eye contact as if looking at another would reveal everything they had been trying so hard to conceal.

"I gotta finish getting ready for my gig," Poe finally said breaking the silence. "It's in a few hours at the cafe but I wanted to get some time in to work on a new song if I could."

Finn nodded and placed a hand on the rack for balance as he slid his right food behind his left. "Yeah of course, good luck with that. I'll be busy so I can't watch you but we have plans for dinner right?"

"Right. Six thirty and not a minute later, buddy," Poe replied pointing his index finger at him like a gun, clicking his teeth and adding a wink when he got a burst of spontaneous flirtation.

Finn rolled his eyes even though his mouth was set in an amused smile and shook his head. "Yeah yeah, go get ready Georgia boy."

Poe couldn't help but grin at the old nickname from when they first met as he turned to go into the restroom. Five months and that kid could still make him smile oh so effortlessly.

After Poe finished gelling his hair so it could at least try and keep the curls from being too frizzy, he walked out into the kitchen and waited to see Finn in all his good looking glory.

Finn came out of the closet- in a literal manner, sadly- and twirled to show off his outfit that Poe picked out for him. And Poe absolutely loved seeing him in it.

"You look great," he managed to say without tripping over his own words.

"So do you."

Poe clapped his hand on the side of Finn's upper arm and said good luck before heading off with his guitar case in hand.

Finn had wanted to say something other than 'so do you' but he decided he'd save it for another time- which he was sure would never come.

But you never know.