Casablanca

Dust

The next weeks went by fast. soon the winter began and sure enough, with the weather of Maine in winter, we had early snow. my main work now was focusing on the pack's Christmas party that was supposed to be held on December 15th. I spent most of my days in the kitchen or in hallways, telling everyone what to do and how to make everything look presentable.

Fortunately, I was on time. the Christmas tree was decorated, the menu was chosen, the rooms were cleaned and dining room and ballroom were spotless and ordered. my only worry now was Alpha Liam. the risk of having a war depended on that party. if I could pull it off, I could save the entire pack from a deadly war.

On the other hand at least I was satisfied on my mate situation. almost every morning I went to that cafe to get my morning tea and she was there all the time. although we didn't speak more than the usual smalltalk, I began to notice more and more about her.

She was Canadian. she spoke French and liked Archery. she moved here from Vancouver with her friend, Lucy, after college and opened up this cafe and she liked smooth love songs and whispered along with them when they played in cafe. every time she got free time, she would put on a round glasses and started sketching in her notebook. and she seemed even happier when it was snowing. altogether, I think I never saw her not smiling. the only problem was that I was starting to get addicted to her. I had no idea when am I gonna reject her but I thought about it a lot. it shouldn't have been hard...for her. she didn't even know she was my mate but for me it was like a living hell. I was starting to think I should have never come to meet her in the first place.

Days past this way until everything changed on the Christmas party.

The guests started arriving at 7 pm. I, as the Beta, was standing at the entrance hall to welcome them. I was wearing a very dark grey, almost black suit and and a dark blue tie. my hair looked a bit more calmer than usual as I welcomed every werewolf in the mansion. most of them were Alphas and Betas of the notable packs of country. I recognized most of them. there was Alpha Jimmy Jr. from New York, Alpha Sandler from California, Alpha Goode from Alabama, etc.

Alex joined beside me later. he was wearing a light grey suit and a striped tie. and he wasn't talking to me. ever since that day I got in my mood and yelled at him he got away from me and stopped talking to me. I didn't really have time to to apologize due to all of checking and double checking and setting everything for tonight.

-"Hey..." I said. he glanced at me and then back at the front door and guests again.

-"Hey." he said coldly.

-"Are you still mad?" I asked looking at him. he didn't respond. "look I'm sorry ok? I was scared and angry and...you know how I feel about my mom. I don't want to mention her as much as possible. but still, I was overreacting. sooo....sorry." he looked at me.

-"For?" he asked.

-"Yelling at you." I replied.

-"And?"

-"Pinning you to wall."

-"And?" he asked smirking.

-"And...for not controlling my temper?" I asked.

-"And?" he asked again.

-"...For being an idiot."

-"Apology accepted!" he said and smiled at me for the first time in weeks.