Reckless - Chapter One

R E C K L E S S . . .

CHAPTER ONE -

The pounding music flooded my ears as I stepped into the heavily crowded room full with grinding bodies and violently flashing lights. I shielded my eyes against the light and tried to spot my friends in the crowd after being separated from them a few minutes back.

"Anne!" A voice called above the music and I made my way towards it, struggling through the crowds and stepping on more than a few people's toes. I didn't even bother apologizing; knowing most of them were too wasted to notice.

I surveyed the room again, trying to find the voice. It was shrouded in darkness, and would've given an air of mystery if it weren't for the multi coloured party lights which were flashing and darting around, lighting up various pieces of the party spontaneously. Heads were bopping along to the fast paced music and along the sides were various people talking and drinking. I decided to move to the sides of the room knowing thats where my friends would be. I craned my neck even further above the crowds to find them and saw a madly dancing group of my friends. One of them called out again and waved me forward, mouthing my name.

I walked forward towards them and pushed into the circle, "Hey guys!" I grinned, throwing my arms round the nearest of them in a hug then proceeding to hug each one of them.

"Wow, Anne, you're in a good mood," commented one of my friends, raising a perfectly shaped eyebrow. It was Samantha - but no one ever called her that, she hated the name and infinitely preferred to be called Sam. It was hard not to be envious of her long red hair and wide green eyes which resembled a cat's. It wasn't just her eyes which made her resemble a cat though, she was sly and cunning - probably one of the most clever of my friends here.

My other friends were all nodding in agreement and I shrugged it off, "It's just the atmosphere..." I trailed off, raising my hands in the air and swaying to the music.

They all laughed and started dancing along with me; I joined in the laughing as we joined hands and spun round. My hair whipped around my face and obscured my vision as we all spun faster and faster. The atmosphere was contagious and we all collapsed into laughter once we stopped dancing round, despite the people staring at us.

Someone grabbed my hand and I spun round to find another one of my friends smiling at me "Ohmigosh!" I squealed at her giddily, "Claire, I haven't seen you for like... ages!"

She stood in front of me in a flower print party dress and killer heals looking at me disbelievingly with her piercing blue eyes - which, let's face it, I could've killed for.

"We saw each other yesterday, Anne." Claire sighed, "Really, are you drunk or something?"

"Nope!" I said, popping my lips at the 'p' like a child and laughing giddily.

I saw Claire raise an eyebrow at Sam, who decided to butt in "She's not drunk, Claire, just dizzy. And 'high on the atmosphere'" She said, putting air quotes round the last words.

"Aw, c'mon." I whined "Don't gang up on me, I'm just having fun."

"Suuuure," They chimed in unison. It was a strange thing they sometimes did, after being best friends since childhood Sam and Claire had a strange way of completing each other's sentences or saying the same thing at exactly the same time - it was kind of creepy at first, but everyone loved them for it.

I crossed my arms and stared at them reproachfully, "I'm gonna get a drink," I said turning away and throwing a quick goodbye over my shoulder.

They whipped their heads around in unison and called out "Don't get too drunk, Anne!" over the music to my hastily retreating back. I flipped them off then continued towards the other end of the room where I saw a bar.