(4) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

I glare at the blank document. The page has been empty for hours. I checked the time on the digital clock and slammed my laptop shut. It's half past midnight and I still haven't written anything.

Dread knotted my stomach. There was a looming conclusion that Howard might have had a point.

It couldn't hurt to take a time off, maybe catch up with friends I kept in touch with via Face Times once a month or birthday calls. And some friends I never get to see by choice. The number of visits to my parents has been a rarity over the years. But I make up for it by calling regularly and allowing my son to spend the holidays with them.

It wasn't complete avoidance. It was leading my own life for the first time.

I swung my legs off the bed and burrow my face to my palms. I suck in a deep breath.

My stomach churned. I could use some midnight snack in the kitchen but I'm too rattled to eat anything. Decisively, I opt for a glass of water.

I walk into the dark kitchen, letting out a startled gasp at the male figure leaning against the counter.

My hand clutched my left chest to steady my pounding heart. "Oh, my God, you almost gave me a heart attack. What are you doing lurking in the dark?"

"Sorry. I got thirsty." He raises a glass of water.

I reached for the switch and flick on the light. "I could have mistaken you for a thief."

"Yeah, right. A water thief." He looks me over. "Why are you still up?"

"Just got thirsty too." I swallowed.

Nathan raises an eyebrow. "Thirsty or you just can't sleep?"

"Definitely thirsty." I went to the cabinet and pull out a glass, fidgeting a little.

"Is there something wrong, Chassie?"

There are moments that I wish Nathan doesn't know me too well. That he doesn't notice the subtle giveaways and what they meant.

I look up, his eyes locking on mine. His blue gaze was focused and direct that I couldn't help but feel vulnerable. Sensing it was a safe zone, my guards puddled around me.

My answer was a long, heavy sigh.

"Rough day?" He gestures to the stool next to him and I took the offer.

"You have no idea." I slumped on my seat, shoulders weighing a ton.

He puts his glass down and adjusts himself so he's facing me.

"My boss said I'm in a writing rut." I forced the words out of my mouth.

"That's bullcrap."

I smiled at his loyalty to me. "He suggests I take some time off. He even told me maybe it's time for a vacation."

"He did?"

"Yeah, he said someone is going to take my place and my column will be right where I left it when I get back." I shake my head, a bitter smile stretching my stiff mouth. "I can't believe this." I slap a palm over my forehead.

"Hey, look at the bright side. At least you get to have a vacation, visit home and maybe catch up with your friends. They've been asking so much about you."

I swipe my fingers across my face. "Are they asking whether I finally did something on my own or they're just asking to confirm that I haven't?"

"You know you did. Far more than that."

"I don't know what to do. I think I just," I sighed defeatedly, at loss for words.

"Chassie, come on." His hand reaches for mine and squeezed it. "Take it easy. You're being too hard on yourself."

I glance up to him, relieved that I saw comfort. "You know, I have a thought."

"What is that thought about, pray tell?" He smiles.

My nose crinkled. "I feel very sorry for Mr. Avery who really believed I could write. I want to write my English teacher a letter right now."

"Don't be silly. He's not the only person who believes in you."

"Oh, right." I clicked my tongue. "I'm sorry."

He chuckles. "Chassie George, you're just overthinking this. You're in a writing rut. So what? Maybe it's time to take a break and when you get back at it, I know you'll still be the greatest writer."

I punched him on the arm. "Why are you so good at making me feel better? You must've put up with a lot of my crap to be this good."

"I'm your ex-husband. It has its perks." He winks.

I rolled my eyes.

"Just take a vacation. Do you want to go?"

I shrug. "I'm still thinking about it."

"Okay." He nods and waited for a second to ask, "How about now?"

"Fine." I giggled.

He grinned. "I can't wait to tell Ethan."

Book 3

Audrey Danler swore to forget that one drunken wedding hookup she had with Vren Parkinson

Audrey Danler swore to forget that one drunken wedding hookup she had with Vren Parkinson. It was definitely doable. Except that one mistake resulted to a positive pregnancy test. And now she's stuck with a man she would've never bat an eye at when she's sober. It was supposed to be just a mistake. Not a commitment.