(28) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"Bunny, slow down a bit," Kathie says gently.

I stopped dead in my tracks and looked over my shoulder. Three pair of eyes were watching me. Kathie and her best friends, Jessica Keith and Audrey Danler. I tap my foot on her kitchen floor. Kathie invited me over to her apartment and I was just relieved I'll be out of my bedroom.

"Yes, and maybe slow down with the pacing. I'm feeling dizzy." This came from Jessica Keith, who was first introduced to me months prior the grueling wedding preparation (once upon a time). She photographed my wedding.

The pristine blonde next to her with the stiff poker face I met when I was fitting the wedding gown. I threw a fit because, for some reason, it was much tighter than the last time I tried it on. I was splayed inside the changing room with Kathie. And then she came in and taught me a few yoga breaths to calm me down.

Audrey, a polar opposite to their redhead friend, stares calmly at me. "Why don't you start from the beginning? Slower this time."

I sighed, finding comfort in her elegant voice. She tucked her hands on her lap. For an editor in chief who runs the top-selling female magazine, she wasn't the clichéd boss with the massive personality. She was a woman of a few words.

"Okay." I nodded, finding the courage to tell them about my date with William Rossi and the incident with Nathan the night before. I blabbered on and on, releasing the deepest breath when I finally finish telling the entire story.

Two out of three faces of my audience visibly changed. Kathie was shocked. Jessica was amused. Audrey is... unreadable.

"So, I'm guessing you end up kissing William on the cheek because of Nathan?" Kathie asks more than stated, hesitant to make conclusions.

Jessica snaps her fingers. "You obviously still have feelings for him. Go grab your man."

I shake my head and started pacing again.

"Come on. What's holding you back?"

I pause. "Two words: Sydney Williams."

"Sydney? Nathan's friend?" Kathie murmurs.

"What does that passive-aggressive bitch have to do with this?"

"Jess," Audrey speaks, a hint of reprimand in her voice.

"What? She is a passive-aggressive bitch. I photographed more than a few weddings that she catered. I can't stand the woman." She shots up a rainbow painted finger. "She is the type of woman who calls you a bitch behind your back and then calls you her best friend when you turn back around."

"How do you know that?"

She waves a hand dismissively. "Women's instinct, I don't know. Is she dating your Nathan?"