(35) Ex-wife

DisclaimerPlease be very careful with what comments you leave on my stories

Disclaimer
Please be very careful with what comments you leave on my stories. If it's any way hurtful or offensive to me or any of my readers, I won't hesitate to block you. I work hard writing my stories and I refuse to let 'Karens' lambaste my hard work. Be negative somewhere else.

Chassie George

"You're blushing."

"Huh? What?" My head twisted toward Kathie with a threat of a whiplash.

She laid another lemon cupcake in front of Ethan.

"Aunt Kathie said you were blushing." He grinned before taking a huge bite of his cupcake.

I give my sister a look. "Don't load him up with sugar. It's still nine in the morning."

Kathie just responded with a shrug and gave my son an encouraging smile. "Eat up, sweetie. I'm babysitting you today."

"I haven't agreed to that yet," I say, taking a sip of my coffee.

Ethan and I met his aunt Kathie today for breakfast. A favor on my part because it meant taking a break from trying not to call him/waiting for him to call. I made an admirable job at not prying when I haven't heard from him all day yesterday.

"Have you heard from Nathan?"

"Why?" My cheeks flushed.

She snorted. "What? Don't you guys talk?"

"No, I haven't heard from him."

"Didn't you call him?"

I shake my head. "I've been writing."

"Oh, really? Wow, that's great, bunny."

I smiled to myself. It wasn't a lie. I have been writing. I don't know what exactly has struck me with the inspiration, but I did write yesterday and have felt the tingling sense of accomplishment that I haven't felt for a really long time.

Kathie's cheery smile dwindles a little. "Anyway, about Nathan – he wasn't feeling well yesterday. I'm afraid he might have caught the flu."

My own smile dropped.

"Mom said you came home soaking wet from the rain the other night. What were you guys thinking? You should've waited out the storm."

That wasn't the entire story, but I close my mouth shut.

"Is daddy okay?" Ethan puts back the cupcake, worry dripping in his voice.

"He'll be okay, baby. I'm going to check on him."

Kathie messes his hair. "Yes, she will. So, you and I will be hanging out today."

***

My teeth dug on my bottom lip amidst my indecision as I parked the car into Nathan's driveway. The engine groaned into a stop. There's a lingering dread to the unknown for when I see him again after that night.