(46) Ex-Husband

Starlet and Jett wouldn't leave him alone

Starlet and Jett wouldn't leave him alone. Christian and Vren had been hanging around too. Day drinking had never been so tempting than it has been in the past few days. He needed a distraction. Otherwise he would call. Or wait for his phone to ring. It was bearable when he had so much work to do. But it would sneak like a thief in the most inconvenient time possible. Like when he's on a business call. Like when he's on a meeting.

The doorbell rings.

His heart skipped a beat. He lifted himself off the couch, ignoring Starlet's cautious gaze piercing on his back. Christian, Vren and Jett were by the swimming pool.

Nathan headed to the door. His hand closed around the knob as he hears muffled voices behind the door. He was expecting Ethan today. And he was hoping for someone too. He twisted the knob open, smiled down to his son that flung himself to his leg.

He looks up, hopeful. Then sighed, disappointed.

"Okay, ouch." Kathie's hand flew to her chest. "I'll try to ignore that I saw pure disappointment."

"Sorry," he murmurs quietly, and obliged when Ethan stretched his arms to him.

Kathie stood, eyes doing a quick assessment. "You look..."

He groans. "I know."

Nathan had been miserable. He tried not to look the part. But the sleepless nights take a toll. He could put on a pristine white shirt, but he still has dark circles underneath his eyes that betrayed the 'not miserable' look he was trying to pull off.

"Can I hang out with you guys today?" She beamed, her face bright.

"Sure. If you don't mind the crowd. I have already four people in my house I couldn't get rid of." He steps aside to let her in.

She raised an eyebrow. "You already have people checking in on you?"

"You have no idea." He closes the door and lead her to the living room.

"Aunt Starlet!" Ethan flounders from his arms when his older sister came into view.

Nathan puts him down. He watches as he skidded toward her and crashed into her open arms. Kathie, always warm around people, gave his sister a hug. In a mere second, she was sitting next to her as they laugh and talk about the town's latest gossip.

"Daddy, can we stay in all day? I want to watch movies." Ethan tugged on his arm.

He blinked, reorienting himself.

"Of course, buddy." He takes a seat on one of his sofas and reaches for the remote on the coffee table.

Ethan hopped to his lap and told him he wants to watch Trolls.

"You want popcorn?"

He shakes his head. "Cookies?"

"Okay, buddy." He knew very well that it's a bad idea to give him sugar this early in the morning, but he needed some of those sugar too. He treaded to his kitchen, returned to the living room with a bowl of cookies in hand.

Ethan grinned and took one. He did too before claiming his seat back on the couch. Ethan was back on his lap.

A phone rings.

His eyes searched for the source. It was Kathie's. She took it out of her purse, smiling at Ethan. "It's your mommy."

His mind snapped awake. He wanted to take the phone himself. He would dive for it if he had to. But he pressed his back against the couch, not trusting himself.

Nathan is allowed to miss her.

But that's that.

Ethan jumps happily to his feet and trotted toward Kathie. He takes the phone and answered the call. Kathie hoisted him to her lap.

He kept his eyes on the TV screen, all the while listening intently to the one-sided conversation. Ethan told her what he had for breakfast. He asked if he could have ice cream for dessert later at lunch. She probably said 'yes' because he grinned.

He listened the entire fifteen-minute duration of the call. Ethan hung up, but not after a cheerful, "I love you, mommy!" He turns to his Aunts and kept Kathie's phone in his hands.

"How much longer until she comes back? I don't want her alone."

Nathan's head twisted away from the television and to his son. "What do you mean, baby?"

"Well, mommy said she had to do some stuff."

"Chassie went back alone. Mom insisted she goes with Tessa, but you know how stubborn my sister can be," Kathie answers for Ethan.

"She won't be sad, will she?" His son looks up to his Aunt.

"Not if we call her every night, sweetie."

Starlets nods. "So, she's basically taking on another level of independence."

"You could say that," Kathie replies wryly.

His sister tweaked Ethan's cheek. "Your mommy will be fine."

Nathan felt a disapproving crease forming between his brows. He shakes his head to rid himself of wayward thoughts. Several attempts later, he gave up.

It just doesn't sit right with him. 

Book 4

Once upon a time, Kylie Preston had a semi-exciting life

Once upon a time, Kylie Preston had a semi-exciting life. Until her spitfire attitude sparked the interest of notorious playboy, Christian Parkinson. And no matter how many times he was rebuffed, his flowers made it to her desk every single day. Although a cocky nuisance, his persistence advances him past her defenses. And then slowly, but surely, she finds herself stepping out of those defenses.