(3) Ex-husband

"Chassie, what are you doing?" Nathan stood in wild bemusement at the scene he just walked into in the kitchen

Chassie stood in front of the sink in the same red dress he helped her in. She turns around, resting casual hands on her waist that the dress gripped attractively before loosening at the flare of her hips as it flowed mid-thigh.

Her hair which streams past her shoulders is held up in a ponytail. The lack of makeup teased hints of freckles on her cheeks. He can trace them by memory however bare or covered they are.

"I told you I'm washing the dishes in this dress, right?" She grinned, batting her eyelashes at him.

He chuckles. "I didn't know you meant it."

"Give me that bowl." She snaps her fingers, her hands going up behind her head to redo her hair. She slid the ponytail off and then twisted her hair into a careless bun. "I'm on dish duty."

Nathan could only laugh. He walks toward her, refusing to surrender said bowl that was a mountain of popcorn just a while ago. He left Ethan and Tessa in the living room to watch Animal Planet. His son is nursing a fascination for birds.

"I'm doing the dishes." He puts the bowl onto the sink and rolled up the sleeves of his shirt.

"No." She nudges him with her hip.

It hadn't budged him an inch. "No. Move aside, Chassie George."

"No. You move aside, Nathaniel." Chassie's hazel eyes narrowed moodily.

He pauses. "We're doing full names now. Is this serious?"

Her lips curved into a slow smile. "Maybe."

Shaking his head, he puts his hand on her waist to move her aside. "You pick a stool to sit on."

"Hey," she protested. "I can't believe you can toss me aside with a flick of your hand."

"Barstool." He pointed at the nearest one.

Chassie throws her hands in surrender. "Fine. Always the gentleman."

"I'm no gentleman."

"Ah, right." She flopped on the bar stool, her dress riding up her thighs. His eyes wavered off from the provoking skirt when it crept up a couple more inches. "Nathan, can I just say I'm a little disappointed about Frank?"

"Frank who?" He leans against the sink, brows creasing then flattened in comprehension.

"Frank from ages ago. We just talked about him."

He nods. "He was a good guy?"

One of her shoulders lifted. "I think he was. Thought I could grant him a second base."

He gives her a slight smile. "He's good enough to earn a second base?"

He frowned at himself when his gaze wandered down to her neck and to the tiniest patch of cleavage the dress allowed – where second base takes place. It didn't help that she tucked her arms over her chest because it was only given more emphasis.

Chassie scrunches her nose. "I have hardly been on first base with anyone if I were to be honest."

Nathan laughs softly. It's a task to be traveling back and forth between places, but he's never enjoyed a conversation with anyone like he's enjoying one at the moment.

He made the trip every week, depending on how much running Forester Realty limits him. Also, he had four of his cousins (Spencer, Reese, Walsh, and Colin) who offered to cover for him. Not that he would let work keep him apart from his son anyway.

Every trip is worth getting stuck in traffic for. He lives for the warm rush when he sees his son running toward him on the doorstep and practically flinging himself at him. They need more than regular phone calls.

"How is everybody?" Chassie snaps him out of his thoughts.

"Your parents are doing great. Not that you haven't heard from them."

She smiles wryly. "My mother calls every single day. But I need to hear it from someone else. How are they?"

Nathan and Chassie grew up together. It means they have known each other's parents their whole lives. Nathan hadn't stopped checking on them. Her parents haven't stopped inviting him to dinners either. Her older sister, Kathie Jane had kept their close-knit friendship too.

Nothing changed.

Even after the divorce.

"Your dad is thinking about a new retirement hobby. Your mom is hosting parties like before. Kathie Jane goes out with her friends like always."

Her mouth twitched. There was suddenly a wistful touch to her smile. She hadn't visited home for quite some time. The reasons being 'only a secretive Chassie can keep' and 'one of Chassie's mysterious ways.'

She doesn't say the words but actions – hers in particular – scream loud. There are still some things FaceTime and regular phone calls can't fill.

She misses home.

"They're missing you so much, you know," he says as if letting her know it wasn't one-sided.

Longing flits past her eyes and she permitted them to linger for the briefest second. "Yeah, I've been told."

"