(24) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"You know, your place really is awesome." I sprinkled birdseeds on the last birdhouse.

"I told you. I'm awesome all around." Nathan shrugged haughtily and watches me with a smug look on his face.

Ethan and the rest of my family were at the beach. I didn't feel like going, so I declined. I refuse to be a burden, thank you very much. I still have four more days before the doctor removes my cast. No strenuous outdoor activities for me until then.

Nathan happily stayed behind with me though, politely declining because he has some urgent paperwork. However, I'm aware there's more to his motive than work.

He wants to keep me company.

I know because that's what he's been doing in the past few days. I have to say, spending those days by his swimming pool while he works from home, felt better than the outdoors.

It wasn't entirely the peace that came with the isolated house. It was being constantly checked on. Having food served on time.

Being pampered.

Hell, being taken care of the way I have been by Nathan.

Sure, I enjoyed being single in the last four years. But I also miss belonging to someone. I missed having someone to hold. I missed reaching for the other side of the bed and finding someone in it.

I miss the way it was with... Nathan.

I frowned at the thought. "Since when did you guys start building birdhouses?"

A slow grin tugged at his mouth. "Well, we thought about building a tree house. But he wanted it to be perfect, so we tried out a couple of prototypes and left it hanging in one of those trees." He pointed to the birdhouses hanging at the tree branches off the left. "Ethan was so excited to see there were birds the next day."

I smiled. "I can imagine."

"He decided we build little birdhouses instead. He said birdhouses are for a much better cause. It's like lending them homes for free since they don't have any. You raised one hell of a kid, do you know that?"

"I did?" I snorted. "You did. I'm only an assistant parent."

"You should see the way he talks about you."

"You mean, the way he talks about my kitchen debacles? Remember when I tried to make a homemade chocolate cake for his birthday last year? It didn't end well. Tessa was horrified."

He holds back a laugh.

I glare at him. "See? Even you find it funny."

"I'm sorry. Can you tell me how you didn't get it right?"

I turn my face away, chin angling upward. "I don't want to talk about it."

He tweaks my nose. "Come on, Chassie. You can't be ashamed of your cooking skill after all these years."