(15) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"You're not kidding?" Summer stared for a good thirty seconds across me, her fork stabbing her half-eaten salad.

I shrug, taking a sip of my Pinot Grigio. Oversleeping left me alone in the house and a note made me very well informed that I will stay alone until they get back from the zoo. Refusing to succumb to solitude, I invited Summer Daniels to brunch at Andrei and France's restaurant, because where else do we get VIP treatments for being best friends with the owners?

"Really? On a scale of one to ten, how serious are you about dating your ex-admirers?" She gaped at me, wide-eyed.

"Eight and a half," I told her about giving second chances to a few guys who used to like me. I needed someone to react more positively than Nathan did the other night. I am aware that he is just being overprotective but I doubt if he would help me track them down. Besides, my golden trio of friends has had more ears deep in the town gossip.

Summer smoothed out the top of her raven bun. "Okay, Chassie George, why?"

"I think I just have to."

She picks up her glass of water and eyes me behind the rim. "You must be really bored."

"Maybe," I say smilingly. "You're going to help me?"

She lets out a happy squeal. "Of course, I will. That could be fun."

"What could be fun?" Andrei came up from behind me.

Summer waves him over to the vacant seat next to her. France took the one to my side. "Chassie wants to track down some of his admirers and date them."

The newcomers engulf me in speculative gazes. "Really?"

"Yes," I answered with a grin.

They exchanged glances, then both squealed like high school girls. France squeezed me into a side hug. "We're going to help."

"Count us in. I've never been this excited for a very long time." Andrei reaches for my hand on the table and gave it a squeeze. "Life had been dull without you."

My hand flew over to my chest. "I'm deeply touched."

"Wait, who's the first target?" Summer beams, resuming with her salad.

I fidget with the napkin. "Well, Tom Evans. I have no idea how to contact him without getting too obvious." Hearing it out loud sounds oddly exciting and a tad overwhelming. It would've been easier if they were invited to the welcome home party, but dad certainly made sure those boys are never within a mile of me.

Same old dad.

Andrei snorts-laugh, his brown hair elegantly brushing his forehead from when he shook his head. "Have you forgotten that you're besties with moi? Do I have to remind you that you have France right there who are friends with literally everybody? He has more friends than my brothers have bedded."