Chapter Nine: Period

***

Luke:

On Tuesday, Ophelia and I are supposed to hang out except when I get to her house to pick her up she seems a little... moody.

She's normally so cheerful and bubbly and affectionate but today she seems subdued and tired and kinda grumpy, and it makes me feel bad.

"Hey, Feelz, is everything okay?" I tug her against my chest and she wraps her arms around me, presses herself close.

This is better. Against my shirt, she mumbles, "Just not feeling so good."

Oh, maybe she's getting sick or something.

"I know we were going to go bowling but, maybe can we stay in? I'm sorry, Luke, I'm just... really not in the mood to go out."

"Sure. What do you want to do?"

"Eat a lot of popcorn and chocolate bars," she giggles, then groans. Squeezes her eyes shut like she's... in pain or something.

She doesn't look quite the same, either. She has a couple zits that she's covered up with make-up and she has some darker circles under her eyes.

We pop some microwave popcorn and she puts it into a bowl with some peanut M&Ms and we sit in the living room and watch The Office on Netflix. It makes her smile a little, but maybe not as much as usual.

Normally, hugging and kissing and cuddling cheers her up, but when I lean in to try and kiss her she kinda squirms a little, doesn't try and deepen the kiss, just leans her head in my shoulder and turns back to the TV.

She isn't very talkative today either. Normally we talk about so much random crap but right now she's quiet and kinda... sullen.

I'm actually kinda worried. "Ophelia, baby. You sure you're alright? You seem kinda... out of it."

She sighs, doesn't meet my eyes. "I'm just having one of those days, Luke."

"Oh. Okay."

Did I... do something wrong?

Should I ask?

Talking is important, in this relationship thing, right? I should ask. "Did I... do something wrong, Fee?"

She looks surprised, and her face softens, and she buries her head against my chest. "No, of course not, Luke. I'm just... uh." Her face is turning kinda red. "Not feeling so good."

"Maybe you should... go see the doctor, or something."

She lets out a small laugh. "Uh... not sure that'd really help."

"Are you coming down with a cold, maybe?"

More quiet, embarrassed laughter. "No, Luke, I..." She shakes her head. "You really have no idea why girls sometimes get... a little grumpy and stuff?"

"What do you... oh. Oh." I shake my head, rolling my eyes at myself. "Yeah, okay. I'm an idiot, apparently."

She's on her period. Of course.