Chapter Thirteen: Cold

***

Ophelia:

I've been pretty busy lately doing my normal stuff, you know? Soccer practice a couple nights a week, a game on the weekends. Working at the local library twice a week, writing the book-review for my school paper. Yoga once a week with Celine, volunteering with a program to help little kids with learning disabilities learn to love reading and... Luke.

Did I ever mention how much I love having a boyfriend? How much I love my boyfriend?

He's been pretty busy too since he started his new part-time job with that local engineering firm. He was explaining to me what his job is the other day... something that involves being on a construction site. Except since it's still pretty cold outside, they've mostly had him in the office doing some admin stuff, I think.

He says he's learned a lot so far, and that it's great experience, and I'm happy he's happy.

We both have some time to hang out on Wednesday after school. I drive over to his house, park outside just as he's pulling into the driveway.

Oh, he's wearing his construction uniform. And he looks really... hot.

Tan work-boots, black cargo pants, a bulky grey sweater thing, a short, thick brown jacket. Makes him look so... big and strong. He sent me a picture the other day where he was wearing his hard-hat and neon safety vest, too. I guess they had him working outside today.

He shoots me a grin when he sees me, except aw, he looks kinda tired. We walk up to the front door together and he grabs my hand along the way.

Dang, it's cold out. Beginning of February is like, the worst. He shuts the door after us and we pull off our shoes and hang up our coats and he tugs me tight against him and I squeal as he picks me up, spins me around a little.

I haven't seen him since he came to my soccer game on Sunday, a couple days after he and Darcy and Sienna went out for drinks.

"Hey, you," he smiles, putting me down and sifting a big hand into the back of my hair, tilting my head back and kissing me, slowly but thoroughly. His lips are kinda cold and a little chapped from being outside so much.

When he pulls away, I notice has a little streak of dirt above his left eyebrow, and something sooty across the bridge of his nose. I giggle, wet the tip of my thumb in my mouth so I can rub the filth away. His face is cold, too.

"Luke, you're freezing," I sigh, winding my arms tight around his middle. "Why are they making you be outside when it's so cold out?"

He chuckles a little, presses a soft kiss to the top of my head. "It's not actually that bad. We have space heaters and stuff. But yeah, it was... cold."

His body is so solid and hard and strong... And he smells like... earth, and a little sweaty, and kinda smoky, but not in a bad way.

"Maybe we should warm you up," I say, butting my head against his chest.

A small, low hum vibrates from the back of his throat that sends shivers down my spine to settle all tingly in the pit of my stomach. "What do you have in mind?"