Chapter Fifty: Together

A/N: NSFF warning. (Not suitable for fasting... 🤭)

***

Chapter Fifty: Together

***

Ophelia:

Luke holds me really tight in his arms and I wrap myself around him, and we lay there together on my bed, and I try my best to fight back tears.

I just feel so... overwhelmed, and powerless, and confused. And worried, and anxious, and my heart hurts, inside my chest. Really super duper hurts.

I hold his face in my palms and press our noses close together and manage to tell him, "I'm... I'm sorry for being so sad, Luke." My voice is a little raspy because of how raw my throat feels. "I promise I'm happy for you. I..." I squeeze his shoulders and bury my face in the crook of his neck and murmur, "I want what's best for you, because I love you. I love you so much..."

My throat quivers and my eyes pool with tears again as he strokes his large hand soothingly over the back of my hair. His body is so big, and hard, and strong, and I would hold onto him forever if I could. "I love you too, Feelz," he grumbles against my forehead. "And I don't..." He swallows and then tells me hoarsely, "I really don't wanna move away."

The tears spill in hot tracks down my cheeks. He... he's gonna have to live in another city.

He won't be around anymore.

How is that fair? Why does it have to be this way?

"I'd have to leave my family, and my friends, and..." He presses his lips to the tip of nose and finishes, "You. I don't want to leave you, Fee."

My body starts shaking with silent, uncontrollable sobs. I burrow against the soft fabric of his t-shirt, trying to make it stop because it aches and it's not mature or helpful... I need to be here for him. I need to be stronger because, he needs me, because he loves me, because we're in this together, because he's the love of my life.

"I could stay and go to Ryerson," he says quietly into my hair.

I shake my head vehemently, pull away to rub the wetness from my eyes. "No, you have to go, Luke. The scholarship... you can't turn that down. It's..." I sniff away the snot collecting in my nose and give him a trembling, watery smile. "It's an amazing opportunity for you, Luke. You told me... about how awesome Waterloo is, so, you have to go." I rake my fingers through his hair and whisper, "You can't stay because of me."

His brown eyes are glossy when I look into them, and my entire body just aches. "I did... a lot of research, Ophelia." He starts rambling, like he's trying to fit it all in. "Waterloo's a better school, so, I'll be able to get a better job after I graduate, one where I could stay in Toronto and not have to travel all over the place. And, I'd get to keep all the money Sandy left me for school. I could use it, to..." His cheeks flush a little and he gives me a shy smile. His nose bumps into mine when he proposes tentatively, "We could, you know." He shrugs, his fingers playing distractedly with the bottom of my t-shirt. "We could get a place together. Travel, or, literally anything you want, I guess."

More warmth than I even know how to deal with blossoms inside my chest, squeezes my heart. I fling my arms around him, fresh tears stinging my eyes. "Oh Luke..." I nuzzle his head, search for his mouth and capture it with mine, our skin slick with salt. He kisses me back softly, twines his fingers into my hair. When we pull apart for air, I breathe into his lips, "You mean it? We can... move in together?"