•Eighteen•

Hey everyone. thanks for the votes, comments and follows. You guys are a huge source of encouragement to this amateur writer.
and if you haven't done any of the three things listed above,
well? watchu waiting for?
Seriously guys, Thank you for sticking with Àwèlé through her journey. I'm not  totally satisfied with this chapter, but I really wanted to update for you  guys. especially for My friend, Happiness @happytod. luh you baby.
Well,enjoy this chapter y'all!!!!

No one was as apprehensive as Omololá as her pregnancy progressed. She hoped with all her heart that her baby would be a boy. that would be the icing on a wonderfully made cake. who said you couldn't be bad and get away with it? It didn't matter if Adéoba paid little to no attention to her, even though it infuriated her, being queen was more than enough. She had become the daughter Adéronké never had, the queen mother tended to her left and right.For her  grandchild, only the best would do. But the only thing that could ruin her plans was if the baby turned out to be a girl. Of what use was a girl?
She was taking a stroll when she felt the first contractions. At first, the guards were shocked into immobility by the sudden scream she belted out, but they were spurred into  action when the queen screamed again. in seconds, she had been  bundled and taken back to her quarters, the residing mid-wife was summoned and the Afobaje,in their usual behaviour of  feeling entitled, had congregated outside to hear the news firsthand. Everyone wanted to know the baby's gender, heck, they wanted to see the baby. before everyone else did.
Adéoba cringed and winced and paced and wrung his hands together through-out the queen's labor period. the screams could wake the dead! and after a while, silence fell upon the area. A silence that snuffed out all sound in it's jaws. Adéoba and the others outside looked at each other with apprehension. why was it so silent? the baby wasn't crying, neither was the mother making any noise.
the iyalode, who was Aderonke's friend, looked at her friend. "is.. are they?" There was no need for her to complete the question. Everyone was thinking the same thing. for it wasn't uncommon for a mother and her child to die during childbirth.

   For the first time in  a very long while, Adéoba felt fear. His heart began to beat as fast as the legs of an antelope would go  when the midwife approached them. Adéoba couldn't care less about the queen, so his first words were. "what about my child?".
The midwife smiled smiled tightly, At her next words, Adéoba heaved a huge sigh of relief and smiled genuinely for the first time in a long time.
" E ku ewu omo o. My King, it's a boy!"

...........................................................................

one week before

"A boy! he's so beautiful! look at his tiny hands!" Àwèlé sniffled as she held her baby in her arms. the delivery had been long and grueling. with Àwèlé becoming incoherent from all the pain. after hours and hours of groaning and panting, Àwèlé's baby  boy had fallen into Òsunyémisí's hands with a plop, his wrinkly body covered in his mother's essence. Fìwàshadé had screamed from outside the delivery room.
"Ako abi abo?" . As Òsunyémisí's apprentices began to clean the mother and her child up, he went out to tell Fìwàshadé the good news. The young girl squealed and clapped her hands together with joy. "olódùmarè a ma dupe o, can i see her?"
Òsunyémisí shook his head in negation. "not yet little one, but soon". Fìwàshadé frowned at the old man's words. she really wanted to see her friend and the baby. And she hated it when Òsunyémisí called her little. She was a woman now, and she wasn't even that short. she was taller than Àwèlé, well everyone was taller than Àwèlé, but still. being called little was infuriating.
"so when can i see them?"
" i said soon, don't be impatient, little one"
she huffed and stomped her feet."i'm not impatient, i just want to see the baby and give him lots of kisses on his cute face"
and that she did, she squealed the moment she saw him and proceeded to plant kisses all over his face. "hey little one, i'm your aunt"
Òsunyémisí turned to the beaming mother, "have you decided on a name yet?". The naming ceremony of a baby boy took place eight days after his birth, and the eighth day was fast approaching.
Àwèlé nodded. "i want to name him Àdìo" She would make sure that her son was nothing like Adéoba. She would love him, protect him, teach him how to be a man, and the gods help anyone who would try to hurt him.
She smiled a face-splitting smile as Òsunyémisí placed her son into her arms. the baby , Àdìo, trying to see his mother with his  wide brown eyes.
"Àdìo, omo abebi" she said to herself.
but her mind answered. " Àdìo, omo awele. omo to ju omo lo" The child above all others.

"eku ewu omo" is a greeting used to congratulate mothers who just gave birth to recognise the danger they went through during labor. it is usally said to the father too, but we all know who did the work.So, mother it is.
"ako abi abo"means boy or girl?
"adio omo abebi" means Adio, the son of Abebi.

PHEW! We are done with chapter eighteen, and it only took four days, two rewrites, an idiotic laptop that decided to flunk, a lot of cartoons and prayers from plethora, BUT. WE. DID. IT. *throws confetti and twirls*
Just found out that we are halfway to ONE THOUSAND READS! can you believe that? cos i can't.
thank you guys so much. And if you liked this chapter, please
vote
comment
and follow!!
muah!
odabo
-Kingh