Chapter 5: Staring

Anne's POV

My eyes took in every ray of sunlight and without a doubt I knew I  slept for too long. I suddenly heard the calls from Marilla, desperate yet still threatening me with a 'Don't make me come up there Anne Shirley Cuhbert'

I hurry and get dressed, fiddling my hair into two messy plaits and shot out of the door. School had already started and Mr Phillips 'will not ever tolerate lateness'. I ran-stumbled through the forest and flung the school door open, panting, holding my hat so it didn't fall off.

'Anne Shirley Cuhbert! Must every time you open that door I scold you? What time do you call this?!'

"I am ever so sorry, it will never happen again, I swear on my most prized blossom tree, I promise  , you have to beli-"

"That's enough! Just sit down!"

I can feel the stare of everybody's eyes on me as I took my seat next to my bosom friend. Oh how lucky I am to have Diana! She is the only bosom friend I will ever have, yes I'm sure of it! 

I tried to focus my eyes on the board, we were learning about the world, and I knew nothing of it, though I'm probably still better at this than geometry. 

Gilbert's POV

Anne is the definition of fashionably late, I thought to myself, grinning down at my desk, then stole a glance at Anne, then to the board. Then back to Anne

"Mr. Blythe." I snapped back to reality. "You seem more interested in staring at Anne than you are the world! So tell me, how many countries are there in the world?"

Anne is my world. 

I blushed, suddenly becoming interested in my shoes, but I still, just about audibly, said "83, sir.(A/N I just made this up, I don't actually know how many countries were recorded on the Earth in the 1870s. Soz about that...)"

"Correct, Mr Blythe. Next time stare at the board as intently as you stared at Anne. Focus!"

Anne's POV

A tsunami of stifled giggles crashed down in my ears.I knew everybody was staring at us, the only thing stopping me from crying due to embarrassment was Diana squeezing my hand, telling me not to worry about Josie Pye or Ruby Gillis. Why did Gilbert have to stare at me? Me of all people?  Mr Phillips hated me so, and felt the need to add more reasons to hate me every single day. This just made it worse. I carried on doing my work, my nose nearly touching the slate so nobody could see how red my cheeks were, no matter how I urged  them to cool down, in fact I think they got more red! The cheek of them. I'm sorry this was no time for jokes. Mr Gilbert Blythe has ruined any future reputation of mine with Ruby Gillis and Josie Pye. We were finally dismissed for break time.

Diana's parents had to take her back home at once as her darling Aunt Josephine demanded to see her, and since 'no' isn't in Aunt Josephine's dictionary- well, that's what Mr and Mrs Barry think anyway- my bosom friend left me all by myself. I did try to talk to Ruby and Josie, but all Ruby did was burst in tears at the sight of me, and Josie Pye gave me a look so murderous I was scared for my life. Of course, I just stuck my tongue back at them, the more scared I feel, the braver I feel the need to be. I wandered around the pond and found a certain enemy, all by himself, staring into the water with a forlorn expression. 

Gilbert's POV

All the boys had turned away from me, saying I went too far with Billy. I was all by myself at the pond when a certain red head approached me and sat down on the log next to me. Her reflection appeared in the pond beside me, gave me a smile and whispered, "Gilbert Blythe, if you carry on getting me in trouble like this I swear I'll have a whole collection of  broken slates."

"But what about all those dragons I've slain ?"

"It's no use slaying dragons, if you're luring more in the first place,"

I chuckled, and with no words left to say we stared into each other's eyes. I inspected every freckle on her face, every eyelash on her eye and every hair on her head. And her eyes. As blue as a field of forget me nots with the everlasting ocean kissing the horizon, and how I would forget not those most intricate eyes. Never have I ever felt more heart warmed, felt more where I truly belonged.

Anne's POV

I was lost in the void of Gilbert's eyes. When they reflected the light, they were the deepest pools of the sweetest honey that bees didn't even dream of making. His eyes had a twinkle that I had never seen in his eyes before, like a dozen shooting stars glided across the sky and landed in his eyes.  His eyelashes were longer than average and as brown as a blossom tree's trunk on a glittering Spring's day. His hair was wavy, artfully toppling over each other, weaving in and out. Neither of us dared to move before Moody cleared his throat. Everybody was gathered around us in a fit of giggles. Oh how embarrassing!

"Anne and Gilbert sitting in a tree-"

"Don't you dare finish that, Billy Andrews, otherwise I'd put your foot in your mouth to shut you up!"

"Billy, we're friends that's it."

"We're not even friends! He's my arch nemesis!" I screamed, shooting my finger at Gilbert accusingly, reassuring myself that there is nothing romantical whatsoever between me and Gilbert.

Gilbert's POV

This stabbed a knife in my heart. But I gulped it down and nodded a little, her words echoing in my head. All I wanted to be was friends, at least.

But I guess I'm still the arch nemesis, I thought as I made my way to class. I dropped down to my seat, and started doing my work immediately, knowing if I dared look at Anne, a fusillade of accusations would fly at me. 

No matter how hard I tried to concentrate I always ended up thinking about Anne, 'That triangle would look exactly like Anne's if only it had a slight curve at the bottom', or 'I remember when Anne had to spell onomatopoeia, she forgot the e, how befitting!'. There was no way I could get Anne out of my head, so I pushed my work to the side and wrote a letter to Anne. Of course I wasn't going to send it to her, no of course not.

Anne's POV

Gilbert Blythe cannot get out of my head! It is  very annoying and I hate him very much for it. I carried on attempting to geometry. Eventually, I put it to the side of the desk and wrote a letter to no one in particular. As soon as I finished the letter, I signed it off with a flourish and put it in my desk draw. Time had flown by and it was already home time. I grabbed my hat and coat before Gilbert Blythe  could even utter a word to me and ran home, enraged with Gilbert for wasting so much of my precious time.

A/N I really hope you like it! I don't really mind if you don't vote or comment or anything, as long as you enjoy it.😊